Has Politics Changed How You View Your Entertainment?

by minimus 19 Replies latest jw friends

• tiki
    tiki

What annoys me most are idiot trumpers.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's an example of 70s/80s movies not caring about political correctness and other sensitivities: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974).

It features a group of five white student-age people, including one in a wheelchair (Franklin). They run into a family of violent, loser psychopaths who also happen to be white. I'm white and this doesn't offend me in the slightest.

Now, how would PC Hollywood remake this film to make sure it's racially diverse?

Make the student-aged travelers black? Wouldn't that offend people as all the black people in the film bar one get picked off and murdered? Would it imply that violence against black people is the norm?

How about leave the travelers white and have the violent, loser psychopaths black or multi-ethnic?

But hang on a sec, would that cause offence by implying that violent, loser psychopaths who kill innocent kids are usually black or multi-ethnic?

You get my point.

Of course TCM doesn't need remaking and the original stands on its own merit as a great film.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    What annoys me most are idiot trumpers

Because Hollywood is full of republicans? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ lol your a dolt.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Being aware of the politics we are enduring now more than ever before I notice the activism in some scripts of shows I like:

Two current medical dramas included hot topics. One had a transgender teen explaining his/her situation to an autistic doctor, basically as if he were an idiot. It was an opportunity to advocate for that viewpoint. The other was about a worker at a hospital that collapses because she was sick with cancer. Of course she was undocumented and ICE was called to take her because she couldn't pay for treatment. Both of these shows were heavy handed with propaganda for one side of the political argument. Both shows are well done, but ease up guys.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Maybe politics has always been inserted into movies and television in the past and I just didn't notice it because it was more subtle. I'm not sure but...

Now, there are things I just can't, correction; won't, watch anymore because it feels like being beaten with a gigantic lefty stick in the most obvious and heavy-handed emotionally charged - fact poor way that it makes me cringe facepalm and angry all at the same time.

Well, you asked.

• hybridous
    hybridous
    Both of these shows were heavy handed with propaganda for one side of the political argument. Both shows are well done, but ease up guys.

Isn't that interesting? In my case, once I detect that a political narrative has become the element driving the story, I absolutely lose interest. I no longer care about the characters, because they're not important enough to the writers - so why should I (as the viewer) maintain interest?

I can palate political argument in entertainment, as long as it remains peripheral, and doesn't cause the whole thing to lose thing to lose essential authenticity. Once I figure out I'm being preached to (preached AT?!), I'm OUT.

Remember Tom Hanks in 'Philadelphia?. Obviously a politically charged story, but I found it compelling because the character of Andrew Beckett wasn't shortchanged or dismissed to make about a movie about gay rights. It was about a man in tragic circumstances, battling illness and trying to win his justice. See the difference? That's why it works as a movie IMO. I didn't have to be preached to, to find sympathy for Andrew Beckett. The telling of the story naturally elicited it.

I suspect that if 'Philadelphia' were remade circa 2018, not even the magic and skill of Tom Hanks could render it remotely watchable.

So tired of entertainers disrespecting the audience.

Don't even let me get started on 'Star Wars'...

• Simon
    Simon

Award shows are full of vile hypocrites who are also often uneducated idiots who left school to pursue acting and have little real-world experience to justify their commenting on policy even, let alone lecturing people on how to live.

Nowadays many movies and the awards they get are boringly predictable. No shit, the movie about the transgender black kid won. Is it really the best movie, or did people feel "it's the right time" or some other glib nonsense?

I watched 'Get Out' which is being touted for an Oscar and sorry, it's riding on being about black people vs white because as a movie it's just pure bubble-gum crap and normally wouldn't be considered.

I'd rather the best film won and I don't care if that is or isn't a SJW wet dream movie as long as it genuinely is a good movie. Too often they are not but now they win anyway and I don't see how that benefits anyone, least of all the causes they claim to champion.

There's also re-writing history for headlines. Like Black Panther ... apparently (to hear some tell it) the first movie with a black hero. They seem to have overlooked many other movies if they believe that. Night of the Living Dead had a black hero and was released soon after the civil rights act and the assassination of MLK.

http://www.slashfilm.com/watching-night-of-the-living-dead-for-the-first-time/2/

Of course let's be honest, an Oscar winning badge on a movie is usually a guarantee that it's overhyped and boring. But then I like low-budget but clever, quirky movies more than propaganda.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Sometimes politics in entertainment can be...entertaining. Like listening to some actress who is wearing a pile of bling that cost more than my car (or possibly my house) going on about how the elite 1% are taking over the country. You want to see 1% go look in the mirror.

Or listening to some twit, who a few years ago was giving a standing ovation to a pedophile, going on about sexual harassment.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I don`t care about an actors political ,religious or pet causes or whether they are gay bi-sexual or whatever .

I either like an actor for their talent or I don`t

I don`t care what their personal views are and it does not influence whether I watch their movies or TV shows.

Case in point Kevin Spacey : he was excellent in House Of cards ,I don`t care if he propositioned some sheila or touched another one on the bum or made a sexual advance to some guy I just dont care what he does in his personal life .

He is a great actor and impersonator and that is what I respect him for. Not his personal sexual preferences whatever they may be.

And I think he was hard done by being kicked off of House Of Cards.

• tiki
    tiki

Duh morpheus...I love Meryl taking on the reality...Oprah s angst...Ellen degeneres stance. My point is...I am NOT annoyed in the least with intelligent dissection of this evil unethical ridiculously greedy and immoral administration. What annoys me are stupid people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit