Opus Is Returning to Sunday Comic Strips

by closer2fine 18 Replies latest jw friends

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20030909/D7TEUK4G0.html

wooooohoooo!

Opus Is Returning to Sunday Comic Strips

Sep 9, 10:56 AM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - Cartoonist Berkeley Breathed is resurrecting Opus the penguin from the 1980s comic strip "Bloom County" for a new series to appear in Sunday comics this November.

The Sunday-only strip, to be called "Opus," begins Nov. 23, the Washington Post reported Tuesday. It will be syndicated by The Washington Post Writers Group.

A 1987 Pulitzer Prize-winner for editorial cartooning, Breathed stopped drawing the daily "Bloom County" in 1989 when it was running in nearly 1,300 papers. He began a Sunday strip, "Outland," with many of the same characters - including the penguin's hairball-hacking sidekick, Bill the cat - but quit that in 1995.

Partly chalking it up to artistic burnout, Breathed said at the time that cartoonists "die and go to cartoon hell for working beyond that magic intersection of art and fun."

He has since written children's books and sold the rights to an Opus movie that could start filming by the end of the year.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Really? WOW! This is great. My all-time favourite comic strip.

alt

• obiwan
    obiwan

Big Tex, I'm laughing my butt off. I loved Bloom County. My favorite was Bill the Cat, ack thhhppttt!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

YES!!! I loved those cartoon strips!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Woo-hoo!!!! [*doin' a happy dance -- tappity, tappity*] That's GREAT news!

Nina

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Wow, that's great!!!

I now have a reason to start reading the Sunday 'funnies' again.

Now if Bill W. would bring back Calvin & Hobbes, I would truly be left with nothing more to ask for since my two fav comics would be back!

Winston.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

This is one of my favorites:

alt

closer

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

OH MY GOD!! HAPPY DAY!!

I have like five of the outland books...Comics suck so bad lately I hardly ever read them anymore, and then when I do I just regret not getting that ten minutes of my life back...

I am so excited...any word yet on when and where they will start showing up again?

Winston--I couldn't agree more...I miss Calvin and Hobbes too!

• shamus
    shamus

OMG!

I have every book Breathed ever published, including his kids book the Last Basselope.

I know, I'm a nerd.

WOOO HOOO!!!! I AM SO HAPPY!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

SWEET! I loved Bloom County back in the day.

I was just wondering the other day what Berkley Breathed was up to these days, and if doing political satire had burned him out. Outland got pretty dark.

The guy is a genius, no two ways about it. I am totally jazzed about this new strip!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit