Alcoholism

by StinkyPantz 50 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

How do you know when you have a "problem"?

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

When you start hiding your actions (drinking).. no matter how small .. from those around you.

monk3y

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/alcoholism

Definition:

• an intense persistent desire to drink alcoholic beverages to excess
    • Habitual intoxication; prolonged and excessive intake of alcoholic drinks leading to a breakdown in health and an addiction to alcohol such that abrupt deprivation leads to severe withdrawal symptoms
  • StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

What's excessive?

• obiwan
    obiwan

My grandmother and grandfather were/are alcoholics.

Ask yourself a couple of questions. Do you center your activities around alcohol? Can you drink in moderation? Do you have to drink every day? How irritable do you become, if you haven't had a drink in a while? Do you overly defend yourself when someone asks about your drinking? Has someone said something about your drinking?

These are not definite signs, however they are cause for concern, and you should evaluate the answers you give. If your answers concern you, you could talk to someone who is involved with AA.

Take care of yourself, we wouldn't want to lose you to that kind of problem.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Is wanting a drink at 8 AM bad? I feel depressed this morning and I'm using all my will not to go make a margarita. . .

• shera
    shera

From my experince of having an alcoholic father,

when a person HAS to have a drink everyday,(doesn't have to be 20 beer or more,can be six beer a day)

When they are spending too much money and family is going without their needs

withdrawing and changes personality while drinking

becomes violent and bad tempered

denial to a problem

if has been drinking too long and stops suddenly,will have severe withdral symptoms,delurim tremors and sezuires

not sure if you wanted all this info

everything ok ?

Heather

• shera
    shera

Oh stinky,thats how problems start.

Please be careful... hugs

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

SP, I think every case is different. If you are extremely worried about having that one margarita, you are probably not an alcoholic. There are all kinds of technical terms for us drinkers. I prefer to think of myself as a "functional alcoholic". I drink almost every day, but not so much that I can't control my actions. I don't drink and drive. I never miss work or have hangovers. The funny thing is, since my husband left, I have actually consumed LESS alcohol.

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hi Stinky....

Yep... drinking at 8 am could be a problem... if your using alcohol to medicate... that's a problem... maybe talking about it would be better than having that drink... what's got you depressed?

Inq

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit