What is having the biggest impact on the watchtower Bible and tract society?

by UnshackleTheChains 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I recently attended a class for work in which the topic of dealing with generational differences was discussed. Bullet points for Baby Boomers, Generation X, and Generation Y (Millennials) covered the differences of these generation in brief.

Of note was Generation Y's change in work ethic from previous generations. The "Protestant Work Ethic" is a thing of the past. Generation Y seeks a balance between work and recreation. The Protestant Work Ethic is "Work hard now and play later." It is a philosophy of putting off your desires and sacrificing your personal interests to complete tasks. That is not to say Generation Y does not want to work or work hard. Rather, Generation Y wants to enjoy the fruits of their labor as they work.

This is completely contrary to the belief system of Jehovah's Witnesses. Growing up as a Witness in the 80's it was beat into our skulls that we sacrifice everything now for a reward in a New World. No education. No career. No hobbies that would take time away from meetings and field service. Marriage and having children discouraged. Recreation is important, but it must be simple and brief.

Putting that together with information at your fingertips thanks to the internet, it surprises me that total decline has not occurred in the organization in first world nations.

Of course, the overlapping generations was a total blow to Baby Boomers and Gen Xers who believe "70 to 80 years" from 1914 was it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Awakenednow: New light. It gets darker and less convincing with every new explanation...

Ha Ha... good one!

• cha ching
    cha ching

Very true, take, "enjoying life now" (as you work) is what I definitely see on Facebook!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit