Why So Many False Alarms?

by garybuss 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garybuss
    garybuss

Someone asked me for this back in a 1975 thread and I just found it.

Awake! 1993 March, 22 Why So Many False Alarms?

Jehovah's Witnesses, in their eagerness for Jesus' second coming, have suggested dates that turned out to be incorrect. Because of this, some have called them false prophets. Never in these instances, however, did they presume to originate predictions 'in the name of Jehovah.' Never did they say, 'These are the words of Jehovah.' The Watchtower, the official journal of Jehovah's Witnesses, has said: 'We have not the gift of prophecy.' (January 1883, page 425) 'Nor would we have our writings reverenced or regarded as infallible.' (December 15, 1896, page 306) The Watchtower has also said that the fact that some have Jehovah's spirit 'does not mean those now serving as Jehovah's witnesses are inspired. It does not mean that the writings in this magazine The Watchtower are inspired and infallible and without mistakes.' (May 15, 1947, page 157) 'The Watchtower does not claim to be inspired in its utterances, nor is it dogmatic.' (August 15, 1950, page 263) 'The brothers preparing these publications are not infallible. Their writings are not inspired as are those of Paul and the other Bible writers. (2 Tim. 3:16) And so, at times, it has been necessary, as understanding became clearer, to correct views. (Prov. 4:18)' February 15, 1981, page 19.

Any comments on this article? GaryB

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hey Gary

I have one comment, that Kate and I were just talking about yesterday...

what difference is there between "inspired" and "spirit-directed?" Being reasonably familiar with the underlying Greek phraseology, I can say with some confidence that there is no difference, and that as long as the WTS portrays itself as 'spirit-directed' then they are calling themselves inspired...a distinction without a difference.

Craig

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yes Craig, That exact point has been the stopping place in more than a few of my conversations with Real Witnesses. They distinguish between the indistinguishable with impunity.

The Watch Tower society claims to be a prophet, claims to be used by Jehovah as his mouthpiece, claims to be spirit directed, claims to have the truth . . . . while it admits being prone to error, human in nature, and uninspired at the same time.

They have every base covered . . . just none of it makes any sense.

I hope some of the newer readers here see this quote and comment. It was an eye opener for me. GaryB

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    Why So Many False Alarms?

Ummm....is this like....when I forgot to shut my alarm off and wake myself up rudely on a Saturday morning....? When I don't have to get up...? 'Cuz I don't go in service any more...? 'Cuz I'm disfellowshipped...? And went dancing till 1:00 a.m....?

ESTEE

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yes Estee, that is exactly what it's like. I think it's great you can dance till one am. Wow! Dance on sweet lady:-)

• AlanF
    AlanF

: Any comments on this article?

Yeah: See "The WTS and the End of the World" ( http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm ) which minutely dissects the nonsense in that Asleep! article.

AlanF

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks Alan, Here's a snip of the article. Great work!

Here are a few examples where the Society explicitly calls itself a prophet:

Whom has God actually used as his prophet?.... Jehovah's witnesses. -- The Watchtower, January 15, 1959, pp. 40-1.

As Jehovah revealed his truths by means of the first-century Christian congregation so he does today by means of the present-day Christian congregation. Through this agency he is having carried out prophesying on an intensified and unparalleled scale. -- The Watchtower, June 15, 1964, p. 365.

There is a real need today for someone to speak as a true representative of God.... was there any group on whom Jehovah would be willing to bestow the commission to speak as a "prophet" in His name, as was done toward Ezekiel...? It is of importance to every individual on earth to identify the group that Jehovah has commissioned as his "servant" or messenger. -- The Watchtower, March 15, 1972, pp. 186, 189, 190.
  • SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

The Franz books point out that any major doctrinal changes were voted upon by the Governing Body, with change only effected if there was a majority vote.

If indeed the "faithful and discreet slave" is spirit-directed, should not all votes be unanimous?

Jehovah must be very ambiguous.

• heathen
    heathen

'The Watchtower does not claim to be inspired in its utterances, nor is it dogmatic. Now just hold the phone here for one minute. This organization has been accusing all other religions of voicing the inspired expressions and utterances of demons for over 100 yrs now with the notion that they alone have been chosen by holy spirit to gather the righteous from the earth with the undisputed truth in connection with jesus christ. I'm thinking it must have been the affiliation with the UN that they suddenly decided not to demonize other religions as passionately as they did prior to the UN situation .

• Maverick
    Maverick

CYA....Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit