Hunt begins for legion of ‘missing’ children being educated at home

by rebel8 9 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

A person who used to post here is quoted in this article.

I hate to be a biotch, but since this has happened multiple times here, let me just say this: Please do not be an asswipe and "out" her here because it would connect her real name to her username on this forum, and all the highly personal stuff that goes with that. Disclosing that is her decision, not yours.

OK, now that we have that out of the way, here's the article. It's pretty great to have the political and religious radicalism connected to dubbery in this way.

• careful
    careful

Got to give info or pay to read the article? No thanks.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thanks. I don't feel like paying for access either, but thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll find more about it from other sources.

I don't mean to be an assswipe here, but as for being outed, seems like you know who that person is. Any reason why is she not sharing about it herself?

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

My idiot brother is about to home school his 12 year old daughter. My brother is a closet alcoholic and his wife is a cold hearted woman who never loved him yet married him out of a sense of religious duty. My brother had "status" back then.

My niece is emotionally stunted and socially awkward. She can't make friends or get along with peers at school. So obviously the answer is to take her out of school. This child won't have a chance. She'll grow up and her future will be completely dependent on some "brother" marrying her and taking her out of the house. She won't have an education or social skills to make it on her own.

• Simon
    Simon

It always seems like the people most likely to want to home-school their children are least capable of doing so.

The people who could educate their own children are qualified teachers but they are most likely going to want to put their children through the education system.

• Outahere
    Outahere

AFAIK, the real child abuse is the public education system. I know that's probably not a popular opinion around here, but that's what I think.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The sad part is that all these school shootings are going to make more people determined to homeschool their children.

Nothing wrong with homeschooling if it’s done right by educated people! Otherwise, they are just turning out barely literate children who have been cheated out of their education.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

A sad tale in my town. Two young dubs reaching adulthood having been home schooled. One is barely literate, the other can't read at all.

Now their mother has just died leaving a boy window washer and a girl, just 18 who is so ill prepared for life that I fear for her. I can't see how she is going to make her way in life.

• JeffT
    JeffT

There are right and wrong ways to home school. We have our teenage granddaughter in a home school support system that is a vast improvement over the local public schools. The program is modeled on some very progressive systems in places like Finland. They are grouped by ability rather than age and very strongly encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning. In the time we've been involved with the school (six or seven years I think) all but one of the graduates has been accepted at every college they applied to. That one student had to settle for her second choice.

There are some good programs out there, don't tar all of them with the same brush.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't hit any paywall or request for info when I click the link.

It's a great article putting jw extremism in the context of other extremism, and what happened to this individual was totally religious punishment unrelated to any other rationale for homeschooling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit