Are those out of the org. in better mental health than those in?

by JH 27 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I was wondering if those in the JW organization would be in better or worse mental health than those who quit the organization? Any thoughts?

• Panda
    Panda

Well, if you have a mental illness then you are ill in and out of the borg.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

hmmmm, well, is being brain washed a good thing, mental healthwise?

• wednesday
    wednesday

i had depression while inthe org. and while it has not gone away, my self esteem is much better and i do not have as many mood swings. I no longer have impossible goasl to meet, and pompus little gods to please.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I don't think it's possible to be a member of an abusive, mind controlling cult without experiencing some negative impact on ones mental and emotional health. I feel I've improved in this regard since leaving the org, as have most XJW's that I've met.

Walter

Ontario District Overbeer

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think it depends on whether people continue to believe or not. Those who continue to believe after they leave may be worse off due to the added guilt

Those that get help (counseling a board like this etc) may do better as they become freer from all the WT imposed guilt and fears

As for those who stay in I guess that depends on their situation too. Some may do better in than if they were to leave, especially some men who are high acheivers but can only acheive within the WT.

Most others males and females may feel too pressured by all the obligations and pressures of having to perform for their salvation

• JH
    JH
    I think it depends on whether peop

I hope you didn't get a heart attack LadyLee... OK, now I see the rest...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

naaaa JH still here. The thing posted before I was done so I edited it to add what I wanted to say

• Maverick
    Maverick

I agree that what makes the difference is if the person realizes they were brainwashed or not. Until I was deprogrammed with help of a friend, I was still a mess about the "truth". The exit phobias kick in and make you feel terrible! Once free of those things life took on a whole new meaning!

They train you to be a paranoid, terrified, zealot for a printing company...how can being delusional be healthy...ever? Maverick

• Francois
    Francois

Wednesday, do you know the sourse of your lingering depression? There are some awfully good anti depression drugs out there today. Depression should be a thing of the past. Caveat: Effexor will make you gain weight. Celexa is good. Prozac didn't do anything for me; it was like taking aspirin. But there IS something for you.

francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit