Raised a JW... did you have a childhood?

by ignorance is strength 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Actually I had a pretty good childhood.

Did I mature fast. Yeah. But I think that was me and my family environment. My sis was 12 years older than me, she graduated highschool when I finished kindergarten. I was raised pretty much an only child. I remember wanting to hang out with the adults when I was 5, 8, 12, etc. I really think with or without the JW's I still would have been drawn to "adult" activity.

As for the rest of it, it was pretty good. Yeah--not all of it was peachy--most people don't have perfect childhoods. I can't think of one person who did. (In or out of the society).

Like some others have said, I totally bought into that whole, "celebrating holidays doesn't bother me"...and it really didn't. If anything, it makes me appreciate gifts holidays and gatherings even more now. I don't have the jaded cynicism of others who've had it their whole lives.

I was a depressed kid/teen. I wonder if being in the society had a hand in that. In some respects I think it did. In others--I think it's genetic. My mom, my grandma, great-grandma -- All VERY depressed individuals. I have a feeling I probably would have still been a dark kid anyway.

Could have, would have, should have.

There are sooo MANY factors that go into who we are. I can't really change any of it. I am who I am. I guess I don't really try to figure out what caused it (that'll probably just make me more bitter) I just have to try and figure out who the aggregate me is now, and how best can I make her happy and fullfilled.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit