School Lunches... Let's share ideas!!

by Scully 27 Replies latest social family

• simplesally
    simplesally

There's always: Lunchables by Oscar Meyer.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Great ideas everyone!

One little extra thing I like to add to the lunch box: a fortune cookie. My son loves opening it up and reading his fortune. (The cookie's pretty yummie too).

• simplesally
    simplesally

Cold Pizza!!!!!!!!

Easy pizza:

1 Can of Raviolis

1 Boboli Pizza Crust (or make your own with Bisquick and water---easy peazy to do)

Shredded cheese

Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I'm surprised that CJ hasn't jumped on this yet.

The problem with school lunches, is what works one week, dosen't seem to be ok the next.

Usually CJ makes extra supper, and packs up the leftovers for the kids to take the next day. But unfortunately, what they like at supper, may not appeal to them the next day. ( have you seen what pea soup looks like, when it's been hidden under your son's bed for 3 weeks)

So CJ has tried to be a bit more versatile, and imaginative, but we have still caught the buggers throwing stuff out.

The reliables though seem to be: fresh fruits, as long as it's different fruits throughout the weeks. Different varities of apples, oranges. Then kiwi, bananas, nectarines and plums in season. Sometimes pieces of melon.

She'll also pack the nutrituion /breakfast bars, and yoplait yogurt tubes.

Egg salad sandwiches are good...........this week anyways. And if we are doing CJ's home made burgers for a supper, she'll make a few extra for them to take as well................this week anyways.

But as the kids are older (11 and 13) lunch is not as big a deal with them, as they are more interested in wolfing it down and heading out to the playground. We tried to talk them into coming home for lunch this year (the school is across the street, 30 feet away), but they preferrred to eat at school, so the ritual continues.

I also suspect the oldest is sneaking away at lunch and going to the Tim Hortons 5 blocks away.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Pasta!

My kids love it when I make a pasta in a small amount of bolognaise sauce which is put into a plastic food container topped with grated cheese and salad. The sort of pasta recipes served cold at buffets are much nicer than you would think. The only problem is you have to send a fork.

We get some great free plastic food containers when we order Chinese takeaway which are ideal.

• Valis
    Valis

and don't forget this!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

My all time favorite lunch is tomato sandwich, i have it almost every day. all you need are a couple of slices of tomato, mustard, and two pieces of sourdough bread. :)

• Princess
    Princess
    One little extra thing I like to add to the lunch box: a fortune cookie. My son loves opening it up and reading his fortune.

I love that idea, I'm sure my son would would love it too.

I tried the tortilla roll up sandwich and my son requested it three times already. He likes it with mustard and thinly sliced ham. He requested that I don't let the ham stick out the sides. He's a very particular seven year old.

My daughter barely eats enough lunch to stay alive. Today she only wanted go-gurt and cookies.

I baked a bunch of oatmeal raisin cookies the other day and put them in snack size ziplocks. Two cookies per bag. Then I tossed them all in the freezer. Makes it easy to just toss the frozen cookies in their lunch and I'm not too tempted to eat them frozen. Chocolate chip would be another story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit