Things Only a Southerner Knows: 2nd try

by COMF 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

What I love about the Co-cola down south, no matter what flavor it is, it's still a co-cola.

"I'll have a cherry Co-cola."

I LOVE southern food, fried okra is the BOMB but a distant second to fried green tomatoes......

A proper Sunday meal as cooked for my hubby is:

Cornbread
    Greens
    Macaroni and cheese
    black eyed peas (with a ham hock, you know)
    Catfish.

And that is one happy man.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Y'all:

Down here in N'awlins we have our veryown dialect. Being that we was unduh Franch, Spanush and Yankee rule our vocabulary is totally fucked up. We also like ta eat beaucoup( pronounced "boo coo")food. Hence N'awlins gaining the dubious distinction of being the fattest city in the nation, and spawning big ol' pretty Creole posters to ex-jw discussion boards under descriptive aliases.

ONE....

Bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• waiting
    waiting

hey bill,

"Nothin' could be finer than to be in Carolina" with an RC Co-cola and a moon pie!

I'm not a big fan of either - but know Good 'Ol Boys who are.

After first moving down here, I made homemade beef stew and served it like at home - with cornbread or bisquits. My husband's response? Where's the rice to put the beefstew over? I rebelled for a while, but it wasn't worth it. Just made it the other day, with accompanying rice.

Oh, and a restuarant can be made/broken by the sauce of their BBQ. Hell, even whole towns.

waiting

• Tina
    Tina

heyyyyyyy loves,dis girl lives in da city proper,and luvs da damn place,lol(native too) Im gonna get my cuzin vinnie dere ta show youse guys how dis city werks.wink,TinaScallopini

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

LDH, sounds good to me! What time is dinner? I'll be there....

Almost every Sunday of her life, my dear little grandmother made fried chicken, cornbread, greens (turnip or collard, fresh from her garden), cold, sliced, home-grown tomatoes and onions, snap beans or speckled butter beans or blackeyed peas, washed down with plenty of iced tea with freshly-picked sprigs of mint. Add a lemon meringue pie for dessert, and a nap afterwards in the front-porch swing, and you've got my idea of heaven!

Waiting, BBQ sauce is indeed one of the finer things of life. And folks in both South Carolina and Louisiana, where the stuff is grown, are big on rice--the rest of us can take it or leave it.

Bigboi, I envy your location! I have never had any bad food in New Orleans. Shrimp gumbo and fresh French bread are the food of the gods! BTW, native New Orleaneans are the only Southerners who DON'T have a Southern accent, in my opinion--it sounds curiously like Brooklyn to my ears. Probably for the same reason: a big port town with a mixture of languages from all over the world.

Gosh, y'all are making me hungry!! Talk to you later, I've got to go fry some okra . . . .

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• waiting
    waiting

I don't know how to spell it - but a local dish that everyone makes is "perlou" pronounced per-low. We all make it different, but it consists of a bigass helping of white rice and about a quarter cup of pepper. Then add what y'all want - fish, sausage, okra, greens, beef, etc.

When I worked at the car dealerships, once in a while, one of the guys would bring it in. The accompaning food was white bread and coke or tea, and a napkin. The white bread was to break the pepper taste, the drink to sooth your throat, and the napkin to wipe the tears and runny nose from so much damned pepper. I ignorantly asked one time, "why not just cut down on the amount of pepper?"

They just looked at me like "damned yankee."

waiting

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Waiting:

Awwwwww, dat ain't nuttin but gumbo.

ONE....

Bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• waiting
    waiting

hey bigboi,

I've been to Naw'luns several times. Gumbo (the ones I've had) had more vegatables and tomatoes in it. And spices in addition to salt and loads of pepper. Y'all use that powdered green spice (filet')?

Perlou's are different - mainly rice and pepper and a meat of some sort. No vegatables.

I like both, as long as there's lots to drink and a clean napkin.

waiting

• bigboi
    bigboi

Po thang;

Girl where you been eatin when you come down here? Come on down during the Mardi Gras an i'll hook u up wit some real Gumbo. Shrimp, beef, hot sausage, smoked sausages, crabs, and we'll boil a big ol pot of crawfish for later.

Don't let em get over on ya like that or try to be first to the pot next time.

ONE...

Bigboi

• Francois
    Francois

I agree with XJWBill inference: anytime Hollywood wants to portray someone as naturally dumb, they give the character a southern accent. And the rest of the country seems to enjoy poking fun at southern accents. I'd a helluva lot rather heard the smooth, dipthong rich southern accent than have to listen to the fingernails across the blackboard accents of the Rust Belt.

But there is strangness across the land: In Minnesota, If I say I'm going to the store, someone is likely to say, "Can I go with?" No other shoe.

In Tennesse, if you say, "Would you like to go to the store," you're likely to hear, "I wouldn't care if I did," which means they WANT to go!! Of course, what you'd really say is, "I'm fixin' to go to the store."

People from New Orleans don't have a southern accent? All that pepper must be effecting your ears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit