Dead Sea Scrolls In Dallas

by Valis 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Valis
    Valis

I thought some of our bible scholar peeps might be interested in this.

Biblical Arts Center, Dallas to exhibit 'Dead Sea Scrolls'

Dr. William Noah, left, curator of Dead Sea Scrolls to the Forbidden Book, displays a fragment of the Dead Sea Scrolls as Edward G. White, Lovers Lane UMC, Dallas, holds one of the rare Bibles to be exhibited at the Biblical Arts Center, Dallas, from Sept. 5 through Nov. 16.
    Biblical Arts Center, Dallas, has scheduled the exhibit of Dead Sea Scrolls to the Forbidden Book, Sept. 5 through Nov. 16, a one-of-a-kind exhibit of rare ancient biblical manuscripts and fragments.

A special preview of the unique exhibit was presented by Dr. William Noah on June 29 to the combined Sunday School classes of Lovers Lane UMC, Dallas.

Dr. Noah, a Dallas native who now lives near Nashville, Tennessee, will return to Dallas to again preview the exhibit, this time for pastors at the Biblical Arts Center, July 28 and 29 at 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.

"Our desire is to let the average church person know where the bible text comes from in a way that is as unbiased as possible," Dr. Noah said. He believes the best way to accomplish this goal is to put the works themselves on display.

Dr. Noah, a physician who has become a scholar of the development of the biblical text through the millennia, is also motivated by conviction that children need to know that access to the Bible was so important that people sacrificed their lives to read the text in English. He adds that the "forbidden book" part of the exhibit title derives from the reality that many did pay the ultimate price to ensure that the Bible could be read in the language of the common person.

Among the texts to be displayed are 5,000 year-old pictographic clay tablets from ancient Mesopotamia, history's oldest form of writing; a 2,000 year-old scroll in the oldest known Hebrew script, and the earliest known written example of Elohim, the early Hebrew name for God.

Other rare items include biblical Dead Sea Scroll fragments, including excerpts from Genesis and Isaiah, regarded as the oldest biblical fragments in existence. An exceptionally rare copy of the letter to the Colossians in Coptic from the third century is one of the earliest New Testament manuscripts known. Many important 16th Century Bibles in English and a first edition King James Bible from 1611 are also part of the exhibit.

Partial proceeds from the exhibit benefit the West Dallas Community Center.

For more information, or to obtain a free church press kit, including posters and information about organizing group and individual visits, please visit Website: www.DeadSeaExhibit.com and select Church Reservations, or call 877-332-4253. Special church group rates are available for tickets purchased by August 14.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Saw the exhibit in Michigan - very interesting and informative. I recommend it highly to anyone who's a history buff.

• JCanon
    JCanon

Interesting....

Seems though that the one book that had no fragments found for was the "Book of Esther". Now that seems particularly strange since the original version of the book found in the Septuagint shows Esther married to "Artaxerxes", but the revised "Hebrew version" shows her married to Ahasuerus. It would have thus been interesting to see which version the Dead Sea Scrolls contained. It would prove that Esther was revised and thus uninspired and used to cover up for the conspiracy that Xerxes and Artaxerxes was the same king! But of course, that critical book is missing.......

Thanks for the reference!

JCanon

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I saw an advertisement for this the other day and this morning on the radio they were interviewing the guy who put it all together... I'd certainly like to go see.

• Perry
    Perry

Dallas gets all the cool exibits. I saw Ramses' mummy and a tons of cool stuff at the Ramses exibit there.

• Valis
    Valis

Hi Perry...How's the aviary? It is a travelling exhibit I think. Maybe they will add more dates on their website..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Perry
    Perry

Hi Valis,

The aviary is very, very, much in need of cleaning right now. Yeah, I'd really like to see the scrolls.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Valis: Six, look! It's Perry... I think he's a king!

Six: *rolls eyes* 'es not a king.

Valis: No, no, I really think 'es a king!

Six: *smacks Valis hard with stick* he's not a king!

Valis *ouch!* how can you tell 'es not a king?

Six: 'Cause he's got birdshit all over him.

• Perry
    Perry

Hey, careful... one man's birdshit is another man's bread and butter.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Lots of real good rolling paper, there.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit