Throwing the baby out with the bath water?

by Steve Lowry 34 Replies latest jw friends

• mizpah
    mizpah

Steve:

I think many in the organization equate it with God. So, when they feel betrayed by the organization they also feel betrayed by God. And like so many people today, it is easier to blame a parent for one's own failings or problems...or reject a parent completely.

Many substitute their own thinking abilities instead. And that brings us right back to the original temptation: "For God knows when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

• metatron
    metatron

It's tough, I know.

Once the Watchtower programming leaves your head, you still have to ask why God doesn't talk to anybody

but schizophrenics. I'm still searching for answers and looking for miracles. Currently, I'm into "Huna"

and reading up on various claims of healing and psychic stuff.

metatron

• rekless
    rekless

In other religions they have a relationship with their god a supreme being as JWs our god was the organization, not a supreme being. What is their first question as they start investigating you? Is it not? Do you believe the governing body is jehovah's mouth piece? Not do you still beleive in Jehovah. One could beleive in Jehovah all day long, but if you don't agree with the fds then you are apostate.

• Francois
    Francois

Funkybaby - bad metaphor, really, really bad metaphor. You have stretched it way, way beyond its service life. Ya just can't prove or disprove the existence of God with a physical metaphor that you've turned into an allegory?

You're a good man Funky. Try again.

francois

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Steve, I understand what you're saying. When I realized that this was just another religion and all the pain I went through and saw others go through I was angry for a long time. My rage wasn't directed at the GB, it was God I hated and I let him know it! I felt abandoned. I questioned whether there is a God and if so if he gave a damn about me or the human race. (the whole permission of suffering never sat well with me) then the anger gave way to grief. It was a rollercoaster I don't wish on anyone but I suspect most here know what that's like. Now, call it weak mind (I think I''m a tough cookie) or call it uneducated (think I'm damn smart) I do believe in God. I'm a Christian, I go to church, I pray, I love God. I don't believe that he uses any one religion and I don't believe that he's going to wipe out billions of people at Armageddon. I accept the fact that I don't have all the answers, there are so many things that don't make sense to me, that I don't know and that's where faith comes in. Not blind faith, but faith nonetheless. This works for me. I'm happier than I ever thought I could be. I find peace and freedom in my faith and that's something I never felt for a second as a JW - V Sky

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I think it is unique to the individual. Personally, I was raised as a JW, and so I find myself wondering what I would believe if I had been raised in a "normal" religion. I am firmly convinced that no, indeed, "God" did not inspire the Bible, nor do I think "God" inspired the Koran, or the teachings of Confucious, or whatever religious writings you want to point to.

I'm not saying that I don't think there is a spiritual power or powers. But I don't think a "God" in the snese that I understand to be promoted by traditional organized relgion can logically be reponsible for, or overseeing, what goes on in the world. If he is, then he is truly incredibly weak and fiendish and certainly not deserving of worship.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

First of all I want to thank everyone for their response to the thread.

Now as for the metaphor (baby/bath water), I realize its an over simplification (I certainly didn’t intend any offense). I was intentionally careful to make it a question and not a comment. That said, I have spoken with many former JW’s over several years time who have abandoned their belief in God. It’s quite a coincidence. It naturally (for me anyway) makes one ponder the mental processes involved that helps a person to develop such a contrasting perspective from when they were God believing individuals. Considering the mind control the Watchtower Society has over the JW, and how it creates such an all or nothing paradigm, is seems to me at least possible that an individual may be set-up for a total discard of all or most of the cardinal beliefs associated with this particular religion, upon renouncing it. With God being the center of that belief system, I don’t see it as a leap of logic that some could renounce their belief in God as well. I also realize that everyone is an individual and I do not presume that everyone who leaves the Watchtower Society and no longer believes in God, dose so because of any ‘formula’. That would be silly to see it that way.

I myself am on a continual spiritual evolution and I’m not sure exactly where it will take me. As for my belief in God, I simply cannot deny it. To do so would not be true to who I am, anymore than it would be for someone who doesn’t believe, to pretend they do. I’m neither proud of my belief in God or am I embarrassed by it.

Finally, I respect other’s beliefs (especially my former JW friends) whether it parallels mine or not, and I do not in any way mean to diminish what others believe in (or what they don’t believe in). I simply wonder about the long reaches and ripple effects of a destructive power and force of a cult such as the Watchtower Society.

Any and all comments are welcome. If I have said anything offensive to anyone here on this forum, please accept my apology. I’m simply exploring all avenues.

Steve . . .

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

I think it is a personal choice, & should not be pushed on other people, even by subtle means. I believe in the creator, & also do not believe he/she picked any certain religion or group to favor. Who's to say which book is "right"? I also don't believe any God would need his ego stroked & stroked by worshippers! Same mantra, different dogma. Same judgemental, if it was a good thing, God did it, & if it was a bad thing, satan was at the root nonsense! Personally, I get tired of people pushing their beliefs on everyone else just like jws. Shaming people into the politically correct opinion of an issue. While I'm very happy they found a crutch of some kind, the only crutch I've found is myself! And sometimes my family. If I have a problem or need, I don't have time to sit around praying, I need to set goals & figure out how to achieve them! If it brings them some kind of peace & happiness, cool. But why do some continue to act like a jw with different doctrines? Why not learn from the watchtower experience & grow! I just don't believe in tormenting myself with it all, I believe in enjoying life!

• sens
    sens
    My belief in God is real, and I can’t deny that fact.

I do believe in God, Just Not The Watchtowers version of Him.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Funkybaby - bad metaphor, really, really bad metaphor. You have stretched it way, way beyond its service life. Ya just can't prove or disprove the existence of God with a physical metaphor that you've turned into an allegory?

The phrase "throwing out the baby with the bathwater" carries the meaning of accidentally getting rid of something valuable (the "baby") by carelessly disposing of what is no longer any use (the "bathwater"). In this case, it would seem that the baby represents God, while the bathwater represents the teachings of the Watchtower Society. Granted, I stretched the analogy a bit but my point was that its possible to avoid throwing out truth along with the false teachings if one carefully examines all the claims (what I called "straining the bathwater"). I mean, it's not like I talked about the baby pissing in the bath, or cleaning the bath afterwards.

I still prefer my analogy of those who join other religions after leaving the Watchtower as going "out of the frying pan into the fire".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit