Holy Spirit

by Sergey Antonov 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

"...the bible says that you can grieve , vex and lie to the HS , Eph 4:30 , Isa 63:10 , Acts 5:3 . The HS teaches John 14:26 , testifies John 15:26 , speaks 1Cor 2:13 and commands Acts 8:28 among lots of other things."

And it also tells us that the water and blood together with the spirit "bear witness." (1 John 5:6-8)

The altar "speaks [says]" before heaven. (Rev. 16.7)

Sin "couches" at the door, ‘has desire’ (craves) (Ge. 4.7)

Deserts ‘rejoice, exult’ (Is. 35.1)

Blood "cries" out (Ge. 4.10). Blood "speaks" (Heb. 12.24).

Wisdom "disciplines," or "instructs" in some versions (Prov. 8.10) It even has "children" (Lu. 7.35)

Sin, Grace and Death are "kings [they reign]" (Ro. 5.14,21)

Mountains and Hills "sing" and Trees "clap their hands" (Is. 55.12)

A donkey "speaks" to a human (Nu. 22.21-39). Do animals speak like humans?

Should we take all these statements literally?

More importantly -- Jesus said the following:

"I have spoken these things [like personifying the spirit as a ‘helper’] to you in comparisons" [Other versions: analogies; figures of speech]." (John 16.25)

NIV: “Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father."

Notice that Jesus left the "spirit" out when referencing the Father, curiously just a few words after talking about "the helper." This implies that the spirit was being personified figuratively as God’s advocate in the same chapter.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The Holy Spirit spoke and said, "Separate unto me Paul and Barnabas for the work for which I have called them."

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

"The Holy Spirit spoke and said, "Separate unto me Paul and Barnabas for the work for which I have called them."

Yes, and the donkey SPOKE to Balaam, a human, in the book of Numbers (ch. 22).

Although the donkey "spoke," the account says that the Lord made the donkey talk. At the same time, the narrative speaks of Jehovah's angel behind the on-going action being explained. (Ge. 22.22,24,25,26,27,31) It is obvious that the angel was not the same person as the Lord. The angel was representing the Lord. The angel of the Lord may have been the one behind the donkey talking, since the Lord is resourceful enough to engage with Balaam without a mediator. Regardless, the ultimate source of power originated with God.

Interestingly, Scripture talks about God' spirit some 250 times according to one writer.

What can we learn from this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit