Just Get Over It?

by sens 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I read the following years ago and it really hit home

The Emotional Pain Of Leaving A Cult

The following is how former cult members and members of spiritually abusive systems described how they felt when they finally left their group. This may give you some insight into their pain and why there are no easy answers for them.

It Hurts

It Hurts to discover you were deceived - that what you thought was the “one true religion,” the “path to total fredom,” or “truth” was in reality a cult.

It Hurts when you learn that people you trusted implicitly - whom you were taught not to question - were “pulling the wool over your eyes” albeit unwittingly.

It Hurts when you learn that those you were taught were your “enemies” were telling the truth after all - but you had been told they were liars, deceivers, repressive, satanic etc and not to listen to them.

It Hurts when you know your faith in God hasn’t changed - only your trust in an organization - yet you are accused of apostasy, being a trouble maker, a “Judas”. It hurts even more when it is your family and friends making these accusations.

It Hurts to realize their love and acceptance was conditional on you remaining a member of good standing. This cuts so deeply you try and suppress it. All you want to do is forget - but how can you forget your family and friends?

It Hurts to see the looks of hatred coming from the faces of those you love - to hear the deafening silence when you try and talk to them. It cuts deeply when you try and give your child a hug and they stand like a statue, pretending you aren’t there. It stabs like a knife when you know your spouse looks upon you as demonised and teaches your children to hate you.

It Hurts to know you must start all over again. You feel you have wasted so much time. You feel betrayed, disillusioned, suspicious of everyone including family, friends and other former members.

It Hurts when you find yourself feeling guilty or ashamed of what you were - even about leaving them. You feel depressed, confused, lonely. You find it difficult to make decisions. You don’t know what to do with yourself because you have so much time on your hands now - yet you still feel guilty for spending time on recreation.

It Hurts when you feel as though you have lost touch with reality. You feel as though you are “floating” and wonder if you really are better off and long for the security you had in the organization and yet you know you cannot go back.

It Hurts when you feel you are all alone - that no one seems to understand what you are feeling. It hurts when you realize your self confidence and self worth are almost non-existent.

It Hurts when you have to front up to friends and family to hear their “I told you so” whether that statement is verbal or not. It makes you feel even more stupid than you already do - your confidence and self worth plummet even further.

It Hurts when you realize you gave up everything for the cult - your education, career, finances, time and energy - and now have to seek employment or restart your education. How do you explain all those missing years?

It Hurts because you know that even though you were deceived, you are responsible for being taken in. All that wasted time ... at least that is what it seems to you - wasted time.

The Pain Of Grief

Leaving a cult is like experiencing the death of a close relative or a broken relationship. The feeling is often described as like having been betrayed by someone with whom you were in love. You feel you were simply used.

There is a grieving process to pass through. Whereas most people understand that a person must grieve after a death etc, they find it difficult to understand the same applies in this situation. There is no instant cure for the grief, confusion and pain. Like all grieving periods, time is the healer.

Some feel guilty, or wrong about this grief. They shouldn’t - It IS normal. It is NOT wrong to feel confused, uncertain, disillusioned, guilty, angry, untrusting - these are all part of the process. In time the negative feelings will be replaced with clear thinking, joy, peace, and trust.

Yes - It hurts but the hurts will heal with time, patience & understanding.

There is life after the cult.

Copyright 1985, 1995 Jan Groenveld

Although Jan passed away her website still exists and is a gold mine of information about recovery from cults. I highly recommend it for those who need some informaion about the healing process

http://www.caic.org.au/zhome.htm

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Also from Jan's site

Post-Cult Trauma Syndrome

After exiting a cult, an individual may experience a period of intense and often conflicting emotions. She or he may feel relief to be out of the group, but also may feel grief over the loss of positive elements in the cult, such as friendships, a sense of belonging or the feeling of personal worth generated by the group’s stated ideals or mission. The emotional upheaval of the period is often characterized by “post-cult trauma syndrome”:

• spontaneous crying
    • sense of loss
    • depression & suicidal thoughts
    • fear that not obeying the cult’s wishes will result in God’s wrath or loss of salvation
    • alienation from family, friends
    • sense of isolation, loneliness due to being surrounded by people who have no basis for understanding cult life
    • fear of evil spirits taking over one’s life outside the cult
    • scrupulosity, excessive rigidity about rules of minor importance
    • panic disproportionate to one’s circumstances
    • fear of going insane
    • confusion about right and wrong
    • sexual conflicts
    • unwarranted guilt

The period of exiting from a cult is usually a traumatic experience and, like any great change in a person’s life, involves passing through stages of accommodation to the change:

• Disbelief/denial: “This can’t be happening. It couldn’t have been that bad.”
    • Anger/hostility: “How could they/I be so wrong?” (hate feelings)
    • Self-pity/depression: “Why me? I can’t do this.”
    • Fear/bargaining: “I don’t know if I can live without my group. Maybe I can still associate with it on a limited basis, if I do what they want.”
    • Reassessment: “Maybe I was wrong about the group’s being so wonderful.”
    • Accommodation/acceptance: “I can move beyond this experience and choose new directions for my life” or...
    • Reinvolvement: “I think I will rejoin the group.”

Passing through these stages is seldom a smooth progression. It is fairly typical to bounce back and forth between different stages. Not everyone achieves the stage of accommodation / acceptance. Some return to cult life. But for those who do not, the following may be experienced for a period of several months:

• flashbacks to cult life
    • simplistic black-white thinking
    • sense of unreality
    • suggestibility, ie. automatic obedience responses to trigger-terms of the cult’s loaded language or to innocent suggestions
    • disassociation (spacing out)
    • feeling “out of it”
    • “Stockholm Syndrome”: knee-jerk impulses to defend the cult when it is criticized, even if the cult hurt the person
    • difficulty concentrating
    • incapacity to make decisions
    • hostility reactions, either toward anyone who criticizes the cult or toward the cult itself
    • mental confusion
    • low self-esteem
    • dread of running into a current cult-member by mistake
    • loss of a sense of how to carry out simple tasks
    • dread of being cursed or condemned by the cult
    • hang-overs of habitual cult behaviors like chanting
    • difficulty managing time
    • trouble holding down a job

Most of these symptoms subside as the victim mainstreams into everyday routines of normal life. In a small number of cases, the symptoms continue.

* This information is a composite list from the following sources: “Coming Out of Cults”, by Margaret Thaler Singer, Psychology Today, Jan. 1979, P. 75; “Destructive Cults, Mind Control and Psychological Coercion”, Positive Action Portland, Oregon, and “Fact Sheet”, Cult Hot-Line and Clinic, New York City.

http://www.caic.org.au/leaving/postcult.htm

• Maverick
    Maverick

Ya Shotgun !!!! (Sam is my hero!) I even look kinda like him!

You are soo right! Shit by any other name would still spell WatchTower!

Sens. You feel how you feel. You have that right! They did you dirty, they are scum, I am not over it, and I enjoy being a pain in the ass, with the duds. It makes me such a mellow guy about everything else. I believe in dynamics, be sweet and gentle when it is right and cold the dangerous when it is neccessary. You work it out as you need. I wish you peace, and/or piece, as you free yourself! Maverick

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The reality is that leaving a cult is traumatic. The cult life encompassed every part of our life and our identity. Cults do not allow people to be themselves. The true self is buried and replaced with the cult self.

To find yourself removed from everything you know is a huge loss whether you walk away or are forced out. It is traumatc and the effects last a long time - years if left untreated.

But

the more you learn and talk and share and read and talk and share and on the faster it can go. Sites like this are a life line for those who have lost everything and walk away from a cult barely knowing who they are never mind "Where do I go from here?"

But as Ballistic said some of are over it or over most of it - but just like to hang out with people who understand

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

My husband, never a JW, feels the same way. He doesn't understand my need to read this board & hash out how wrong the Borg is.

closer

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

hi closer My husband who was never a JW doesn't understand it either. But he says he is glad I have somewhere to go to talk about it all (although sometimes I think he is a little jealous)

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Lady Lee, well I figure he has his Texas Longhorns board, so I can have a Ex-JW board.

I think I'm here because I can't completely move past it. My entire family is still in (except for a sibling who is in the military - in Iraq right now - no less)

closer

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Your friend is not aware of the significance of what you've been thru/just come out of....here's a hyperlink to a 3 part post on the Psychological Issues of Leaving a Religious Org or Cult....very interesting reading....let's you know what to expect....what the "norm" is for xdubs just exiting the borg... Frannie B

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/57203/1.ashx

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Oh dear! I started a thread similar to this a while back and all hell broke loose

p.s. you're not crazy. You'll hit the 'get over it' phase eventually. then you'll come back :)

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Sometimes I dig out my shit and look through it just to confirm it again..and yep....it's still shit.

shotgun

shitgun *cough* [I typed that by mistake and just had to keep it as is],

shotgun, you kill me man! LMAO

Winston.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit