Baptism 1973 and 1985 Questions hmmmmmmmmmm!

by Beans 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fairy
    fairy

its interesting how in the questions after they were changed - the holy spirit seems like a add-on extra item whereas before it was a more prominent feature as it were

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

This seems pretty clear to me - the first set of language gives the attempted drowning victim baptised one support in thinking that they could, just maybe, be a channel or conduit for holy spirit someday.

The second set of language clearly says that you just get to "associate" with those who have the spirit, and the organization gets it, not you.

My guess is the first question was simplified because too many people said "huh?" to it...:)

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS is becoming more and more like the lawyers of Jesus' time, the Pharisees. They were so concerned about the legal aspect of curing on the Sabbath that they missed the love and tried to kill Jesus because of it.

Blondie

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Hey Beans. Glad you brought that up. Now we need to get it on the WT quotes site !

I was baptized just before the questions were changed, though I didn't know it at the time. After reading AlanF's article on the subject, I used that point when I told the elders they had no legal right over me. I swore my allegiance to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, NOT TO THE GOVERNIING BODY!

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovahs Witnesses in association with Gods spirit-directed organization?

So those of you baptized before 1985 perhaps some consolation there. To those of you baptized after 1985, you gave your pledge to the new JW trinity! Yes the GB has elevated themselves as equals with God and Jesus, via the "holy spirit", as they are "Gods spirit-directed organization?

• Panda
    Panda

I knew there was a change but had no idea how strictly legal it was ... So I was baptized in1978, that means I never swore my allegiance to the WTS... So when I DA'd in my letter I said I resigned from the WTS, that means nothing in reference to my baptism "yes, yes" So that means all of my old friends should be talking to me and coming over for my birthday! Panda smiles

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Oh yeah! Something else I had forgotten about. Take a newer WT index and look up baptismal questions, and you will not find reference to the pre 1985 question, only the 1985 version. I know that was the way it was in the printed versions, before the CD ROMs came out.

See how sneaky they are!

• Beans
    Beans

fairy, thanks I stole it from that other site! I loved that post so I had to share it with the flock eh!

• prologos
    prologos
    In fact a sin against the Father or the Son is easily forgiven -- but a sin against the Organization is not forgiven.

copied this from the link. Organisation = H spirit, so: sin against the organisation can never be forgiven. ramifications.

• skin
    skin

Where is the opening poster "Beans" these days? He was very active on here 10 to 15 years, but nothing in the last 10 years.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It would seem to me that if as they claim, Jehovah is an exacting God and if they were directed by him to change the original baptism questions, it must mean that those of us who were previously baptized without stating that we recognized that our baptisms made us Jehovah's Witness, may not technically be Jehovah's Witnesses at all . If that's the case, what does that mean for those who were DF'd when they weren't technically JW's in the first place? What about all those folks who married someone who wasn't technically a baptized JW?

Maybe this is a loophole that someone could use during a Judicial hearing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit