Tacoma Dome Conventions

by Lynnie 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

So I went to visit my JW aging mother this week (I've been DF'd for 40 years) and she told me she needs to give the people who are taking her to the convention $10 each day of the convention to cover gas? My uber elder cousin told her she needs to do this!!! WTF? He just inherited a lovely house on the water from his non JW and has tons of money but he couldn't give the sisters the$30 himself. And why does she need to pay anything when presumably the people were going anyway? NO CHARITY HERE!!!!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My uber elder cousin told me

Well then let your uber elder cousin pay up , she's not even suppose to speak to you unless its for very important matters.

There is an element of hypocrisy here that cant be missed .

She wants you to pay for the social condemnation which enforces her to disrespect yourself for not being a JWS.

• waton
    waton
    she's not even suppose to speak to you unless its for very important matters.

Money for wt is the most important matter, yes, cars are expensive: share the load.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Seems to me we used to make sure the elderly were taken care of and nobody would have ever charged them for gas especially since they were going there anyway. Can't imaging what kind of tight wad would charge an elderly person to take them to the assembly. Taking care of the elderly used to be a basic tenet of the religion. Then again, when it comes to money, there's a grab going on from the top down. We found out that Bethel sent my 84 year old mother in law (with dementia) a brochure encouraging her to give her home and savings to the Watchtower and they'd let her stay in it until she died. Luckily my Elder Bro in Law put a stop to that. There's no way he'd let even his beloved Watchtower, get their hands on money that could one day soon be his.

Remember the big Tacoma Dome "parking scam" that was discovered a few years back? People were being charged for parking at the Dome each day even though the dome rental included all of the parking? What a scam that was. I think it cost us around $50 to park for the assembly at the Dome, you had to have these paper parking tickets.

Did you ever get your Mother's house situation straightened out or is she still doing a reverse mortgage thanks to those JW scammers who swindled her out of it a few years ago?

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I remember the parking lot scandal. I never gave them any money. I drove up and the parking lot attendants ask me for my dash board permit and I always looked surprised and they said just give a donation at the box. I always hated the way they had you park you car so every one was blocked in. (just another way to pack in more cars to make more money. I saw through this in my early 30s. } I should open a new tread for assembly gripes . Sorry I was off topic but the Tacoma Dome parking scandal got to me.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Many years ago an elderly, disabled sister needed finances to get to the scheduled convention.

My dad and one other elder furnished the money. The rest of the elder body had multiple excuses why they couldn't afford anything to help her. That included the one who came tooling into the KH parking lot two weeks before the convention with a BRAND NEW luxury vehicle!

My dad is now treated like he is DF'd because he is old, infirm, and no longer a useful tool, and the other brother got so fed up with life he ate a bullet.

Loving bunch of hypocrites!!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The parking lot scam worked like this. The Borg had negotiated with the city of Tacoma a massive cheap rate. The city then said since we're giving you this reduced rate if you charge for parking we want it. The Borg agreed, except a year or so later the cult instructed the congregations to collect the money before hand at the Kingdom Halls and each member that paid would get a colored piece of paper to put on their dash showing the attendants that they had paid for parking at the hall. The cult had hoped that by doing it this way the city would never find out that the cult was collecting for parking, but a high up elder or CO in the area felt bad so he informed the city, of course he was dfd!

On a side note, when my daughter became very ill and needed help my wife was trying to raise money anyway she could and some of the people from the cult donated money , but to my knowledge not none elder in her congregation gave one red cent!

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

No Pete she still has the reverse mortgage and is on a very fixed income. What a bunch of crap!

It just kills me that my cousin who is now very rich couldn't see his way clear to just give up the $30. What a creep!

• steve2
    steve2

JWs won't talk unless its the need for money - a need which always talks.

• lancelink
    lancelink

That parking lot scandal comment brought back a few memories. We attended Hawthorne Racetrack in Chicago Illinois.

for weeks before the assembly, an announcement was made at the service meetin, book study, and after the wt study regarding how all attendees should get their money in to purchase parking passes before the assembly dates.

years later I heard that this was a big scam put on by the wt society.

quite sad that a religion that crows nonstop about how honest, and righteous they are resorts to being thieves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit