It seems that many witnesses simply dont care about facts?

by stuckinarut2 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

They are like the coin slot mechanism, on a vending machine, designed to reject counterfeit coins, only they are programmmed to reject ,facts, logic, arguments, opinions etc, just as a slot rejects under or over weight coins, mis shaped coins, bent coins etc. If it not from WT then reject, just accept any coin shape changes as new light shines on them.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Vidiot

Vidiot6 hours ago

stuckinarut2 - "It seems that many witnesses simply dont care about facts..."

Some do.

They usually end up here.

• atomant
    atomant

l think the problem with many witnesses especially born ins is that they are brainwashed from an early age and therefore ignorant to anything that disproves their beliefs.

• S K Ditta
    S K Ditta

May I suggest that, unrelated facts can be of entirely opposite nature and yet co-exist. Example: quantum physics and traditional understanding of physics appear mutually contradictory, yet both stand up to examination!

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m not even sure a JW knows what a fact is ,it doesnt seem to be in their vocabulary .

• Half banana
    Half banana

Some JW 'facts':

Jehovah created everything

The Bible was written under inspiration of Jehovah

The JW org leadership is the mediator between humans and Jehovah

If you believe and do what the GB tell you; you will live forever in paradise

Note that the above beliefs have no chance of being proved and this is why religious doctrine is of no scientific or practical value. How can anyone seriously say "God is love" when there is no God willing to show itself in the first place? God only exists in the collective imagination of believers, and most of them were taught to believe so from infancy.

Religious belief only has value for the individuals who require hope beyond hope that a magic world exists somewhere. You cannot make any further developments from such elusive and slippery dogma.

By contrast a good example of the thoroughness required by scientific progress is seen in medical practice. Here exhaustive and critically appraised test evidence, including blind trials, is vital before we start using new medicines.

Why not use the same rigorous and factual "evidence based testing" for religion?

• S K Ditta
    S K Ditta

"Facts" by their very nature...must they be black-or-white?

• S K Ditta
    S K Ditta
    scientific progress is seen in medical practice.

Pardon my posting again. I understand, it can appear rude.

The purpose of religion and its pursuit are fundamentally different. Religion (spiritual or otherwise) seeks constancy and permanence; resistance to change. Major shifts are rarely seen and with something extraordinary. For example, compare the OT and the NT of the Bible. Don't they appear absolutely incompatible, especially when the context is ignored/altered?

• Half banana
    Half banana

The purpose of religion is always political. Its function is to pacify the masses.

Why should anything be believed if it has no factual evidence?

• S K Ditta
    S K Ditta
    The purpose of religion is always political. Its function is to pacify the masses.

That is an astute observation about organized religion.

Why should anything be believed if it has no factual evidence?

I believe calmness is good. It helps relationships...but cannot quantify my claims.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit