Victoria, Australia:Survivors of sexual abuse to be able to sue churches

by AndersonsInfo 15 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

smiddy3 - A class action is now plausable and can, once the legislation is put together by the Attorney-General of Victoria, be seriously looked into by class action law firms.

There is also a powerful letter in existence, signed by the Attorney-General of Victoria, that is heavily critical of the ongoing failure of Jehovah's Witnesses to comply with the law.

There are also court precedents in which Watchtower Australia testified as to the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses being responsible for any alleged criminal or unlawful activity in the state of Victoria, and not the corporation.

By the time the laws are introduced it will be ten full years of non-stop campaigning and fighting for justice in Victoria, i.e. 1 July 2008 - 30 June 2018. Countless court cases, human rights cases, investigations, prosecutions, two parliamentary inquiries, and a royal commission later have produced a mountain of evidence to support a class action. All that was left is to close the legal loophole.

If anyone does not believe that those in the state of Victoria, Australia, don't have the staying power they are only kidding themselves. To quote a friend: "The governing body believe and shudder."

Interesting times indeed.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    jwleaks - "There is also a powerful letter in existence, signed by the Attorney-General of Victoria, that is heavily critical of the ongoing failure of Jehovah's Witnesses to comply with the law."

This is the major kicker for me.

How often have they lauded themselves for their supposed law-abiding-ness... except where it contradicts "God's Law"?

And - despite what any apologist/loyalist might try and argue - in what crazy-ass, fucked-up mirror universe would reporting a major crime (to the "superior authorities", who - according to them - have been "placed in their relative positions by God", I might add) - contravene said Law???

No wonder they try and squirm out under bullshit "clergy-penitent privelige" or "non-corporational responsibility"...

...they have no legal, ethical, or - arguably - even Biblical leg to stand on.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

When i was being converted in 1960 it was emphasized to me that their was no clergy / laity distinction as existed in Christendom`s religions.

So how come they can claim clergy / penitent privilege in a court of law.

And lets not forget Rom.13: 1 let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities

{ Apparently only when it suits them to do so otherwise forget about it }

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Good news. I got happy feet.👣👣👣👣. Still Totally ADD

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Let’s hope it passes, but like stated earlier the cult is incorporated it like the Catholic Church so JWs down under should be able to sue and win.

Why JWs down there are not suing is beyond me? Maybe the culture is not a s sue happy as it is in the United States.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SMIDDY3:

Yes, when it suits them they like to say they are ‘not clergy’. But, they can’t have it both ways in a court of law.

If they claim “ecclesiastical privilege” when asked to divulge information about lawbreakers, they are admitting they are clergy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit