Jehovah's Witness spared jail over grooming girl

by Researchedandenlightened 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Researchedandenlightened
    Researchedandenlightened

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/crime/jehovah-s-witness-spared-jail-over-grooming-girl-1-7551106

A Jehovah's Witness who groomed a girl has walked free from court.

Richard Ogilvie was given a suspended prison sentence after a judge ruled his conduct was 'bad, but not as bad as some cases we see before these courts'.

The victim's father said he 'understands and accepts' the sentence and hopes the sex offender treatment Ogilvie receives will prevent another child and family suffering at his hands.

"My daughter is damaged," the father added. "But with the help of our friends and family we will make her better."

Ogilvie, 32, of Scott Grove, Hartlepool, was convicted last month by a jury at Teesside Crown Court of sexual grooming of the girl.

He was acquitted of inciting the same child to commit sexual activity.

The court heard Ogilvie sent the girl a series of texts, telling her he loved her to bits and wanted to snog her.

Christine Egerton, defending, said in mitigation: "He has been punished by the loss of his job, and the knowledge of the conviction by those in his community.

• Splash
    Splash
    32 years old? Seeing as he's not listed as an elder in that congregation, he's in prime ministerial servants territory. I wonder if anyone can find out.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    The most disgusting and depravable thing I can think of is sexual abuse against children!!! To take a young person who trusts their grown up protector and have them do this to them. I could sanction the death penalty for that! Next too starvation it's probably the worst thing one human can do to another.
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

snog? must be a UK thing

• freddo
    freddo
    Snog = kiss passionately and would often include use of tongues,
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

That sentence seems....adequate. That man will pay for what he did for a long time. The whole thing is just terrible.

DD

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Uk is behind the curve when it comes to pedophilia as are some red state judges in the U.S. They will learn.
  • Mephis
    Mephis

Keep in mind the crime he was found guilty of, rather than the headline of 'walks free'. He sent texts over a period of a week, and has been found guilty of grooming. A suspended prison sentence, which is only suspended because he now has 2 years of mandated sex offender treatment and supervision. He's also now on the sex offender register. Whilst the judge has made a judgement call on whether to send to prison or to try a rehabilitation, this guy isn't getting off easy. He has to inform the police every time he leaves the country, every time he changes address, whether he's living with anyone under the age of 18, details of bank accounts etc. And if he doesn't, it's 5 years in prison just for not doing that.

• falseprophet
    falseprophet

"He sent texts over a period of a week"

This guy is much more serious than what the court could prove. He can only be convicted of what they can prove.

I had more names of victims. I had an outburst on here after ten years of silence. Some of my family are still in and don't know the full extent of what happened or why. Fortunately, the few family members that matter do still speak to me.

When I sent Simon a private message asking for the outburst to be deleted (or names to be removed), I was ignored.

Ignored, exactly like I was as a JW. I will not mention the names to the police until Simon proves he doesn't support pedos by removing that one post.

• falseprophet
    falseprophet

Wow! Didn't realise Simon was so Pro-Abuse. Want to admit anything Simon ????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit