Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

by Aztec 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec

Do any of you suffer from what you perceive as OCD? To any degree? Do you think it is because of the WTBTS?

When I'm at home I've very laid back when I'm at home but when I'm at work I'm a nut. I, obsessively, clean. I clean up my work area and , when bored, clean up my employees work area too. I can't handle clutter of any kind. I also make sure the money is face up and pointing in the same direction. I do the same with my wallet. Face up and facing a certain direction. Large bills in the back, smaller bills in the front.I need it neat and orderly! Maybe it's just my way of making sure some part of my life is orderly but, I think it is my first signs of OCD. Pretty soon I am going to be counting things for no reason and triple checking my locks! :-0

I do think it may be a result of my JW childhood. I still want to make "everything" perfect. Neat and tidy...LOL!

~Aztec

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You down with OCD?

Yeah you know me.

You down with OCD?

Yeah you know me.

Not me, but some of my favourite people are.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Okay Six, thanks for your input. Why do you spell favorite...favourite? Are you a closet Brit? ;-)

~Aztec

PS *Smooch*

• riz
    riz

yep. i could stare at my vacuum lines all day. perfect, perfect vacuum lines.

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Hi Aztec!

Well, I don't have that disorder, but for the longest time (from about 15-26 years old), I have severe anxiety and mild depression. I finally got the help I needed for it and am grateful.

Do I blame the jw's for it? Oh, not really. I don't know what to blame actually. I can understand that all illnesses are different though and maybe the obsessive compulsive could be a partial result of being in that organization. I certainly think that it is possible contributing factor.

PS. Aztec, are you enjoying your time in the penalty box? LOL I guess it will take a while.

Ron

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Hmmmm, wanna visit my work area??? It's a disaster! But in other areas I do the same thing, especially with money. The heads on the bills MUST be on the same side and facing the same direction, and the bills MUST be arranged with larger bills at the back. The rest of my wallet is a disaster, bulging with receipts that are 6 months old, but if the money is in order, then I'm happy. I do the same with CDs, arranging them by category, and the labels all facing the same way.

I was super disorganized before I was a JW, but that changed alot when I ran my own business. It had to!

I don't think I have OCD, but I often wondered if my stint as a JW affected my short term memory. People in the borg used to marvel that I could remember how many beers I drank on New Years Eve 20 years ago, but could not remember the subject of a public talk a few hours earlier. Now that I'm out I don't notice any short term memory problems anymore. I'M CURED!!! Maybe it was just my level of (dis)interest.

Walter
    Canadian District Overbeer

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

30-Aug-03 08:20 Aug 30, 2003 by Expatbrit: Correct formatting

30-Aug-03 08:21 Aug 30, 2003 by Expatbrit: Correct formatting
    30-Aug-03 08:22 Aug 30, 2003 by Expatbrit: Correct formatting
    30-Aug-03 08:23 Aug 30, 2003 by Expatbrit: Correct formatting
    30-Aug-03 08:24 Aug 30, 2003 by Expatbrit: Correct formatting

• Aztec
    Aztec

Okay Expat, you're funny. I tend to compulsivly edit any errors in my post but, I am forcing myself NOT to edit a few glaring ones in my initial post. I can leave the edit button alone. I CAN!

Ronnie, yes I am, thanks for asking. :-)

~Aztec

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think a person can rightfully blame OCD on the Witnesses. However, 2 family members have OCD and being a JW certainly messes them up in my opinion.......Besides, most people that have OCD aren't Witnesses. So I think anyone can have it......As far as putting your money in a certain order, tons of OCD-less people do it. But not me. My money is a mess in my pockets.

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

Me! I've got it. It's too difficult to summarize my life experience, or even my daily experience, with OCD in one post but if anyone has any questions about OCD I'm your source!

Aztec, the behaviors you described can be considered "compulsions" but the more important indicator of an OCD is what motivates the behavior. Compulsive behavior gets a lot of attention, but the counterpart is what is in your head--the obsessions, the intrusive thoughts.

If you can, note what your thoughts are before, during, and after the behaviors. Everyone exhibits compulsive behavior from time to time, but I wouldn't worry too much unless the behaviors are recurrent, inescapable, and in response to some internal fixation.

Nonetheless, is it good that you are open to the possibility of OCD. Some people clearly have it and deny it. Don't forget, if you ever have questions I'm here for ya!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit