Comments You Will Not Hear at the 8-31-03 WT Study

by blondie 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

JCanon, thanks for the reassuring comment about God's fairness. I was being a little hyperbolic by mentioning Hitler.

All but the "wicked" will get life, and all things on Judgment Day will be evened out. Hitler will come back and know there is a God, etc. Judgment Day is the great equilizer day.

Pistoff, welcome to our visiting speaker. What a wonderful talk you gave here! Strange that should have been the very last public talk I heard in person at the KH. I had to get up and go to the back room so I could be near the restroom to vomit. Your version was excellent.

You made so many good points but this one I thought is a definite keeper:

Unsupported assertion number 6: "It is evident that the prophet adjusted his view of the repentant Ninevites. We draw this conclusion from the fact that Jehovah used him to record this inspired account." Where is the evidence for this?? Solomon was not a worshipper when he died yet his words remain a staple for the WT to quote again and again. Solomon did NOT adjust his view late in life.

I knew that about Solomon but I did not connect it to that statement. Thanks for the mental boost.

Blondie

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Pistoff said:

He finished by reminding us that we are SO CLOSE to the new system, and if we choose his rulership we can enjoy life in a perfect new world, he did well the first time by using system instead of world, but true to his 5 year behind the times form, finished by reverting to the phrase new world, quietly abandoned a few years ago by the blessed ones in brooklyn.

Um, I think it has reverted back to "new world" now, according to recent articles and the inside cover of Awake! magazine. You have to remember that "new light" comes and goes in nanoseconds, and if you blink you might be caught in "old light."

Just wanted to add my thanks to you, blondie, for this thread, and to the others for very insightful comments. The balance is refreshing.

I think the WT theologians should take a sabbatical and get back to the Bible. In professing to be so wise they have become biblically ignorant, and in putting on the robes of spiritual superiority they do not know that they are naked.

• blondie
    blondie

Hi OHD,

As to the terms the WTS uses, they certainly have changed over the years.

1953-1967 New World Society

Until 1986 New Order (too much like New World Order)

Until 1990 New System

Currently popular New World (though skewed a little by the NWT references)

Based on the counts on the WT-CD

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

How thoroughly aggravating. This kind of stuff really got me cranky in the last few years, the constant change in terminology; it changed as much as the length of sideburns.

Back call=return visit

Book study=bible study=now book study again!

new world=new system=new order=new world again

vacation/temporary=auxiliary pioneer

I just loved it when they changed John the Baptist to John the Baptizer, to take any credit the Baptists might get from John, how trite!

Any other changes in terms?

oh yeah; approved associate! Gotta love that one; it was changed to unbaptized publisher. So now no disassociation(if unbaptized), or being announced as no longer an approved associate; now they just say, so and so is no longer an unbaptized publisher. A sister in a hall nearby recently said, no matter what they call it, such ones should be treated just like df'd ones! Yikes. The more I listen, the more I am convinced that the WT really is newspeak, and doublespeak and groupthink. I re=read 1984 last year and it creeped me out, it was so much like the "truth".

Get this: in my congregation, they just announced reproof for so and so, but he is repentant. !! Duh, if he wasn't he would be df'd, stupid elder!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

always love your comments blondie,

not much else to say.

• blondie
    blondie
    Any other changes in terms?

Pistoff, I'm sure that could make a separate thread.

I was always amazed how the congregation servants went from men "serving" the congregation to men being "over" the congregation. It seems that their attitudes towards the sheep took a big turn then too.

pilgrim--servants to the brethren--circuit servant--traveling overseer--circuit overseer

zone servant--district servant--traveling overseer--district overseer

company servant--congregation servant--presiding overseer

great company--jonadabs--great crowd

colporteur--full-time evangelizer (for non-JWs)--pioneer

Thanks, run don't walk.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit