Need info. on rotater cuff surgery

by kls 8 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls

I have a rotater cuff tare and will need surgery.I can live with it (pain)or have it fixed.I am worried that it maybe stiff or i maybe worse off after the surgery.Has anyone here had this surgery and how did it turn out.I am not getting it done till i know all the pros and cons. Kls

• Mulan
    Mulan

All I know about this kind of surgery is that some get relief and some don't. It's a crap shoot.

• RoadDoctor
    RoadDoctor

95% of the time, of the rotator cuff surgeries and patients I've come across they gain full movement back. Occasionally they will have some limitation to the movement with full extension of the arm. However, the benefits outweigh the risks. It is a relatively minor surgery, of course this depends on how extensive your damage is. My grandmother just had hers done, and they have to shave some bone away from her clavicle for better repair. You'll get plenty of physical therapy, and make sure the doc gives you some nice happy pills. You will need them the first few days. Good luck!

Josh

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

Hi Kathy... I am sorry you are in pain.

I found a dozen or so links on it. I hope you feel better soon.

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/faculty/Matsen/rotatorcuffsurgery/01

What to Expect After Surgery

Discomfort after surgery may decrease with taking pain medications prescribed by your doctor.

The arm may be protected in a sling, especially when at risk of additional injury.

Physical therapy after surgery is crucial to a successful recovery. A rehabilitation program may include the following:

• As soon as awakening from anesthesia, you can start doing exercises that flex and extend the elbow, wrist, and hand.
    • The day after surgery, if your doctor allows, passive exercises that move your arm may be done 4 to 5 times daily (a machine or physical therapist help the joint through its range of motion).
    • More aggressive and progressive exercises and stretches, with the assistance of a physical therapist, start 2 to 12 weeks after surgery depending on the type of surgery. Whether these exercises are necessary may depend on the severity of your tear and the complexity of the surgical repair.
    • Unassisted range-of-motion exercises with light weights start a few months after surgery.

Why It Is Done

Surgery to repair a rotator cuff is done when:

• A complete rotator cuff tear causes severe shoulder weakness.
    • The rotator cuff has failed to improve with conservative nonsurgical treatment alone (such as physical therapy).
    • You need full shoulder strength and function for your job or activities, or you are young.
    • You are in good enough physical condition to recover from surgery and will commit to rehab.

How Well It Works

Rotator cuff repair surgery restores more strength to the shoulder than arthroscopic debridement and decompression alone. The more strength that is restored, the more shoulder function you will have.

Risks

In addition to the risks of surgery in general, such as blood loss or problems related to anesthesia, complications of rotator cuff surgery may include:

• Infection of the incision or of the shoulder joint.
    • Persistent pain or stiffness, which may get better over time.
    • Damage to the deltoid tendon or muscle (if the deltoid is detached, it must be repaired immediately).
    • Need for repeated surgery because tendons do not heal properly or tear again.
    • Nerve damage. This is uncommon.

What to Think About

Massive tears [greater than 2 in. (5.08 cm), or involving more than one rotator cuff tendon] often cannot be repaired. Grafting and patching procedures are possible, but they are not much better at restoring strength than debridement and decompression, which is less risky and requires less rehabilitation.

Less active people (usually people over 60 years of age) with confirmed rotator cuff tears that do not cause pain, significant weakness, or sleep problems can safely go without surgery unless symptoms become worse.

• Some people who do not have surgery to repair rotator cuff tears develop cuff tear arthropathy, a condition of progressive arthritis, pain, and significant loss of strength, flexibility, and function.
    • The risk of developing cuff tear arthropathy is less serious than the risks of surgery for an older (over age 70), less active person.
    • In most cases, arthroscopic debridement and smoothing will adequately relieve pain and restore enough function to allow the person to do his or her daily activities, and open surgery is then not necessary.
  • Carmel
    Carmel

I had mine done in Israel. Would I do it again? Not likely. Seems I still have 70% of the pain and have never regained the strength in the right wing.. swimming helps but only in that it keeps my range of motion nearly 90% but still doesn't take the ache away at night.

carm

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

My rotator cuff surgery required the insertion of a pin and hook. The pain after the surgery was pretty rough but not much worse than the pain of trying to live with the injury.

I've had lots of people tell me that their results were only 75% recovery of full motion, but my surgery gave me back 100% range of motion and ability. My surgeon's name is Ronald Zipper. He is in North Kansas City MO. He wouldn't cut me until he was sure he could give me an acceptable result. There are other doctors out there that are scalpel happy. Get a couple of opinions before you do anything.

It was 8 weeks from the date of my surgery untill I went back to work.

Good luck.

Thunder

• wednesday
    wednesday

i recently had my shoulder surgery for impingement. The surgery was easy but my recovery has been difficult. I developed RSD. I'm in physical therapy now, and getting some relief. i also have a rotater cuff tear, and it is painful. No surgery advised as of yet. I can't put my arm above my shoulder.

weds

• kls
    kls

Thanks to all for your help.I guess i am dammed if i do and dammed if i don't.I can't live with the pain .It has been 3months since i tore the cuff ,lifting a shovel with gravel.I also have a large bone spur digging into the torn cuff.I probably will have surgery and thanks to you all i know what i am in for ,however it turns out. Thanks for your inputt Kathy

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I am a physical therapist please email be I have a wealth of info. [email protected]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit