The Legend of 'Fearless'

by Farkel 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

The year was 1950. It was a wicked and lawless time in the Old West. Grafitti which staked out the turf of the many rowdy gangs in town was everywhere. This was the Wild West where a man’s mettle was measured by how many drinks he could consume and still maintain a lightning draw and trigger finger. Men were MEN in those days and taking a round or two of lead was just part of a day’s work.

Something needed to be done to stem the tide of disorder in this small railroad town, so the town folks searched far and wide for a gunslinger willing to stare Death in the face and laugh at it. They found their man: “Fearless” Farkel was his name and gunfighting was his game. He stood three-foot-two and all of his hefty thirty five pounds was solid muscle. There was not a meaner or tougher man to be found.

Fearless calmly and slowly rode into town on his trusty hoss, cocked the Sombrero acquired from his Bounty Hunting days in the blazing Mexican sun and drew his Colt 44 “Peacemaker.” Every eye in town was on him. The ivory-handled grips of his sidearm were carved with the notches of the many victims foolish enough to take him on in the past. His over-alls were covered with a layer of dust from the long ride on the trail and his shirt looked like it could be a prison shirt. Was he in prison at one time? Did he escape? Did he have to shoot anyone to escape, people wondered? No one had the nerve to ask him about it. People figured he didn’t look like the sort who would take it kindly if asked those kinds of questions, so they wisely kept their questions to themselves.

Fearless stopped for a moment and pondered whether he should amble over to the saloon and toss down a few cold ones to slake his thirst before facing down his enemies. No, that wouldn’t be a good idea. Gotta keep an edge for those bandits.

Fearless was ready to face down the enemy even though the odds were overwhelmingly against him. He had a way about him that was just hard to explain. Standing down bandits was his stock-in-trade and he was good at it. In the entire two years of his life he’d never lost a battle with the enemy and he was determined not to lose this one, either.

“It’s not going to be a pretty sight,” he declared to the town. “There’s gonna be bloodshed, and it ain’t gonna be mine!” Suddenly, gunfire erupts! “It’s an ambush! Run for cover, everyone” he yells. Fearless fires round after round at the enemy and realizes something must be done, because he’s just about out of lead. He breaks into a sprint and tries to head for cover, but one of those varmints is waiting for him and ropes him in. Fearless valiantly fights the choking grip of the rope, but alas! He’s hog-tied and can’t escape. Tension is everywhere. The town gasps, breaking the deadly silence following the gunfire.

Fearless still had his weapon though, and a deep scowl furrowed a forehead made ruddy from the relentless Desert sun. He slowly slid his weapon up his leg as the gang leader stepped forward to claim his prize.

“You know with all the commotion, I can’t remember if I fired six shots or only five,” Fearless sneered at the leader. “So you got to be a’ askin’ yerself this ONE simple question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well DO ya? PUNK!”

Ah, to be two years old again!

Farkel

• philo
    philo

“You know with all the commotion, I can’t remember if I fired six shots or only five,” Fearless sneered at the leader. “So you got to be a’ askin’ yerself this ONE simple question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well DO ya? PUNK!”

Nice bit of bait: masterfully laid, snnnigger. But I'd say YK's too yella.

philo

• Farkel
    Farkel

I fixed the problem with my graphic not displaying, and my post wouldn't make any sense without the graphic. Since it had scolled five pages back, I'm bringing it to the top for those of you who've read it, but not see the picture.

Farkel

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hey fark,

glad you got the pic to work. i love it! great story. you're the best

love
    harmony

• waiting
    waiting

Would Farkel be Fearless in earlier years? If so - you're a cutie. If not, the story's still good and you're a cutie.

Great picture. I have one of me similar age, in cowgirl getup, guns and all. The '50's - what an era.

waiting

• Tina
    Tina

Fearless is too sweet :> Thanx Farkel,great story,luv,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Would Farkel be Fearless in earlier years?

Yep. That picture is me! 1950, Ogden, Utah. My grandmother was babysitting me and I guess I was so ranbunctous that she felt she had to tie me up! My mom became a dub that year (1950) and I never had a toy gun to play with again. We had sticks and wood and stuff, and we still had our imaginations. We played coyboy and cop stuff with our make-shift props. The WTS tore out a lot of my heart-and-soul, but they never ripped my imagination from me.

I'm a tenuous survivor.

And proud of it!

Farkel
    "You Can Leave the Watchtower, But the Watchtower Never Leaves You."

• larc
    larc

Great story Farkel,

Since I am a manly kind of man, I won't say ((((hugs))) like the ladies do, I will say (((handshakes))) bro.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

LOL - brilliant piece and photo brother Farkel!

unclebruce who spent much of his childhood as 'the derango kid'

• iggy
    iggy

Hopalong Cassidy was/is definitely faster on the draw. I know cause that's me. Start shakin fearless.

I remember the overalls too. I could get them undone but not done up again. This was a pain when sharing private examinations with friends. (Consenting children)
    Iggy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit