Stupid Computer Question

by Big Tex 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

With all the viruses bouncing around, I recently acquired a firewall called Sygate Pro. This is the first time I've had a firewall, so I don't know anything about them. But the past week or so I've been trying to figure out some things and I checked "security log" and evidently I've had several intrusions. Each incident includes the IP address, and security type (major or minor). Well I looked at one of the "major" security instrusions and did something called a back trace of the IP address (I have no idea what I'm doing) and this is the response I get:

OrgName: Microsoft Corp OrgID: MSFT Address: City: StateProv: WA PostalCode: 98052 Country: US

NetRange: 207.68.128.0 - 207.68.207.255 CIDR: 207.68.128.0/18, 207.68.192.0/20 NetName: MICROSOFT-CORP-MSN-BLK NetHandle: NET-207-68-128-0-1

Parent: NET-207-0-0-0-0 NetType: Direct Allocation NameServer: DNS1.CP.MSFT.NET NameServer: DNS2.CP.MSFT.NET NameServer: DNS1.TK.MSFT.NET NameServer: DNS1.DC.MSFT.NET NameServer: DNS1.SJ.MSFT.NET

Comment:

RegDate: 1996-03-26 Updated: 2003-01-15 TechHandle: ZM39-ARIN TechName: Microsoft TechPhone: +1-425-936-4200 TechEmail: [email protected]

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE231-ARIN OrgAbuseName: Abuse OrgAbusePhone: +1-425-882-8080 OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]

OrgNOCHandle: ZM23-ARIN OrgNOCName: Microsoft Corporation OrgNOCPhone: +1-425-882-8080 OrgNOCEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: MSFTP-ARIN OrgTechName: MSFT-POC OrgTechPhone: +1-425-882-8080 OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

Okay now my stupid question. I notice that one of these handles (10-4 good buddy) is abuse. Is Microsoft investigating me for abuse or something? What does this mean? I've seen this several times and I don't have a clue what's going on so anyone who knows anything I would appreciate letting me in on it.

Middle Age Man may not know diddly about IP addresses, but he does know how to program a VCR and he knows where his warranties are.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

If it were me, Big Tex, I'd contact Microsoft via Email from their website and send 'em a copy of the report and ask THEM what it means....

Frannie B

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

One modifier - contacting Microsoft is slow and difficult. Contact Sybase.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Don't worry about it big guy.

It's just some shit that Microcock yabba on about.

I found it on my firewall, so obviously theres no way it can be for abuse

PIRATES - TOGETHER WE SHALL BEAT THE SYSTEM MUHUAHAHAHA

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    PIRATES - TOGETHER WE SHALL BEAT THE SYSTEM MUHUAHAHAHA

Who .... me?

• Valis
    Valis

Big T...does it say Minor, incomeing...mac spoofing? That's probably just some stupid popup ad that was trying to launch. Sygate will also tell you if you have a critical attempt to breach your firewall. If you get an alert of incoming requests I would say block them...mayn times spyware will download itself to your machine and then broadcast back to whatever server it is on. Also, if you see outbound traffic alerts be careful about what you allow. The normal protocols that WIndows uses to connect to the Internet are generally allowed or ignored and other software that may be trying to send messages out like spyware or viruses it should alert you to. Lemme know/call if you have questions or need more help Big T....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Hamas
    Hamas

You and me, baby.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Big T...does it say Minor, incomeing...mac spoofing?

Yeah I've had a dozen or so of those. I was kind of figuring it was some sort of ad type thing. The only reason I was even curious was that it was from Microsoft and there was a line that said "abuse". I don't trust Microsoft (the Evil Empire) and I'm always paranoid enough to believe that someone somewhere is watching everything I do on the Internet.

Maybe it's really Minimus at the Service Desk . . . . .

• rem
    rem

The 'abuse' email address is a standard alias that all large corporations and ISP's use. It's used to report abuse. So if you found that someone from Microsoft's IP address space was trying to hack your machine or DOS attack you, you could report it to Microsoft by emailing '[email protected]'.

rem

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Thanks rem. That really helps.

Like the Sand People, I am easily startled. This Internet thing is very confusing to my little 3% brain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit