Would you call police on the JW's , if door to door was banned ???

by run dont walk 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Yes, I would report, and I would videotape the arrest and watch it over and over.

Revenge is beautiful.

ash

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

After reading all your experiences I would not only not call the police, I will never be rude again to a JW at my door. If I ever see another JW at my door again, that is.

• Scully
    Scully

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/article/1,63,0,082003,409291.shtml

Thursday, August 28, 2003

City By-Law Ruled Discriminatory by the Court of Appeal
    Jehovah's Witnesses may go door-to-door in Blainville
    Cyberpresse and Sophie Allard (La Presse)

Jehovah's Witnesses can from now on have a calm spirit to knock on the doors of the citizens of Blainville. The Court of Appeal rejected, yesterday, the appeal of the municipality, whereby the by-law regarding door-to-door visits is, in this case, judged as "a serious threat to the freedom of religion."

According to the measures added in 1996 to the municipal by-laws regarding solicitation of Blainville - originally intended to apply uniquely to commercial entities - Jehovah's Witnesses had to obtain permits at the cost of $100 which allowed them to solicit homes only two months per year, from the hours of 9am to 7:30pm, from Monday to Friday only.

"In a free and democratic society, there is no place for municipal counsel to play Big Brother in deciding whom a citizen may receive to their homes on evenings and weekends! To take away from citizens the possibility of participating in an exchange of ideas is the same as negating their capacity for self-determination, the principles of which rest on the legitimacy of democratic structures", writes Judge Pierre Dalphond.

Following the example of the Superior Court, the Court of Appeal declared the by-law regarding door-to-door had no bearing regarding privacy. Even though the objective of Blainville to "see to the peace and quiet of its citizens", the city posed a threat "to the freedom of reglion of Witnesses and to the freedom of expression of the residents of Blainville". The threats were considered "grossly out of proportion to reports of disturbance which would be caused by visits from Witnesses one weekend out of every four months", stated the judge.

More details in today's La Presse.

Le jeudi 28 août 2003

le réglement de la ville est jugé discriminatoire par la Cour d'appel
    Les Témoins de Jéhovah peuvent faire du porte-à-porte à Blainville

Cyberpresse et Sophie Allard (La Presse)

Les Témoins de Jéhovah pourront désormais frapper à la porte des Blainvillois l'esprit tranquille. La Cour d'appel a rejeté, hier, l'appel de la municipalité, dont le règlement sur le porte-à-porte est, dans le cas présent, jugé comme «une sérieuse atteinte à la liberté religieuse».

Selon des mesures ajoutées en 1996 au règlement municipal de Blainville sur la sollicitation- jusque-là destiné aux commerces uniquement-, les Témoins de Jéhovah devaient se procurer un permis au coût de 100 $ qui les autorisait à faire de la sollicitation aux domiciles deux mois par année, de 9h à 19h30, les jours de semaine uniquement.

«Dans une société libre et démocratique, il n'appartient pas au conseil municipal de jouer au Big Brother en décidant qui le citoyen peut recevoir chez lui le soir et la fin de semaine! Enlever au citoyen la possibilité de participer au marché des idées équivaut à nier sa capacité d'autodétermination, principe sur lequel repose pourtant la légitimité des structures démocratiques», écrit le juge Pierre Dalphond.

À l'instar de la Cour supérieure, la Cour d'appel déclare le règlement sur le porte-à-porte inopérant à l'égard des intimés. Malgré l'objectif de Blainville de «voir à la quiétude des citoyens», la municipalité porte atteinte «à la liberté religieuse des Témoins et à la liberté d'expression des résidants de Blainville». Atteintes considérées «nettement disproportionnées par rapport au dérangement qui peut résulter d'une visite des Témoins une fin de semaine à tous les quatre mois», indique le jugement.

Plus de détails dans La Presse d'aujourd'hui

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

I wouldn't call the police. I mean, when you were a dub, didn't you think you were doing the right thing? You weren't a bad person, just misled. How is calling the cops going to help them? Are we going to sink to a level of revenge and punishment just because we regret the time we wasted being a dub?

• Scully
    Scully

There were two articles on the same page of La Presse today, both dealing with JWs (I will translate them later, but in the meantime, here are the scans for our francophone friends). Sorry about the size, I have heard a rumor that bigger is better, but this is a bit ridiculous!

Love, Scully

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I would demand that they do the Hokey Pokey for me... if they refused, I would call the fuzz!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

If it was merely the door-to-door work that was banned, then yes, I would call the police, just as I would if I saw JWs trespassing or otherwise breaking the law.

If JWs as a whole were banned, then no, I would not report them to the police; that would be supporting an evil law, a violation of freedom of speech and religion.

• smack
    smack

Wouldn't that just encourage the bastards? I mean, they thrive on persecution, it'd be proof (to them) that they

are doing the right thing!

smack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit