Why the Lord's Prayer and Not Stephen's?

by Sea Breeze 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Other N T prayers:

The Lord's Prayer.
    The Tax Collector's Prayer.
    Christ's Intercessory Prayer.
    Stephen's Prayer at His Stoning.
    Paul's Prayer for Knowing God's Will.
    Paul's Prayer for Spiritual Wisdom.
    Paul's Prayer for Partners in Ministry.
    A Prayer of Praise.

Why didn’t subsequent prayers in the New Testament include “kingdom”.

I believe the kingdom message is primarily for the Jews. But, certainly appropriate for Christians as well.

Can a Jehovah’s Witness pray to Jesus as Stephen did at his stoning without being disfellowshipped and never able speak to his family again?

Why?
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Unless its changed, JW's are opposed to "canned" prayers even if they're in the Bible. I think reciting the Lord's prayer at the start of meeting would get you yanked off the stage and hauled in front of a committee.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I agree. But the Lords Prayer is the go-to support for the "Kingdom Message" they believe they are preaching. The rest of Christianity, apostles included, preach a "ministry of reconciliation".

Why can't a Jehovah’s Witness pray to Jesus as Stephen did at his stoning without being disfellowshipped and never able speak to his family again?

• Konagirl
    Konagirl

"Can a Jehovah’s Witness pray to Jesus as Stephen did at his stoning without being disfellowshipped and never able speak to his family again?"

I am sure for a JW to speak to Jesus as Stephen did, they would be disfellowshipped for worshiping him, if that came to light. It is so illogical. How is it that Jesus communicated with humans before his death, and after his death…but once he was resurrected to heaven, all communication is to stop? Where in the scriptures does it say we can’t speak to Jesus as Stephen did?

The early teaching of the Wt showed the necessity of worshipping both the Father and Jesus, respectively. This requires talking to Jesus in prayer. But now, Christ is locked away from every JW. And if Christ is locked from them, so is the Father.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.” Matt 23:13

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/worship-jesus.php

• jhine
    jhine

A broad answer l think is that the WT side lines Jesus as much as possible because the Org. wants to be seen as the only intermediary between man and Jehovah . Thus keeping its power over people.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, that's why they promote the idea that Jesus is the mediator only for the 144,000.

• TD
    TD
    Can a Jehovah’s Witness pray to Jesus as Stephen did at his stoning without being disfellowshipped and never able speak to his family again?

LOL - Almost certainly not....

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Stephen saw Jesus in a vision at the right hand of God!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

And then there was the thief on the cross who asked Jesus directly to save him. And, Jesus agreed to do it.

Could a JW ask Jesus to save them like the thief on the cross did without getting disfellowshipped and never see his family again?

Elsewhere Jesus said, "Come to ME, and I will give you rest for your souls".

Could a JW ask Jesus to comfort him without getting disfellowshipped and never see his family again?

Then this troublesome verse:

"You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life." - Jesus (Jn. 5: 39-40)

Could a JW ask Jesus for everlasting life without getting disfellowshipped and never see his family again?

And then this whopper:

And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts? Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house. - Luke 5: 21

Could a JW ask Jesus to forgive their sins without getting disfellowshipped and never see his family again?

I can't imagine an anti-Christian cult being more prohibitive to reaching out to Jesus than the Watchtower is.

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever
    looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,Titus 2:13
    For the Father loves the Son and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing; and the Father will show Him greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes. For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, so that all will honor the Son just as they honor the Father. The one who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.John 5:20‭-‬23

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit