Voting and JWs

by Davros 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Earnest
    Earnest

BluesBrother : Whether today [political voting for governments] is a disfellowshipping matter , I am not sure .The Shepherd the Flock book is not specific.

The book Shepherd the Flock of God, 2019, p.153 refers to actions that may indicate disassociation. These include :

(4) Taking a Course that Violates Christian Neutrality: (Isa. 2:4; John 15:17-19; lvs pp. 60-63, 244) If he joins a nonneutral organization, he has disassociated himself. If his employment makes him a clear accomplice in nonneutral activities, he should generally be allowed six months to make an adjustment. If he does not, he has disassociated himself.

That seems to suggest that it is only joining a nonneutral organization which would be viewed as disassociation. However, How to Remain in God's Love (lvs) chapter 5 para.1-4 says:

How can we be “no part of the world”? In this chapter, we will discuss several ways: We remain loyal to God’s Kingdom and are neutral, that is, we do not take sides in politics... Ambassadors represent their government in a foreign land, so they do not get involved in the politics of that land...Clearly, no true Christian would get involved in the politics of this world.​

It doesn't actually use the word "vote" or "voting", and so there might be some discretion allowed, but I think the message is clear enough.

:

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

The whole thing got the "conscience"(shimmy-shammy) treatment in the mid-90s. Flock book and questions from the readers. No idea why. Still the publisher would not be "exemplary".

Publicly stating the fact or joining a political group = disassociation. (USA).

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is another case of the Org. speaking out of both sides of their mouth. They want to be able to point the Authorities to where they say it is a Conscience matter, but elsewhere make it plain it is not. I think in some Countries it is illegal to forbid others not to Vote in Elections ????

I guess on the basis of this that ,though merely having "faded", I am considered to have dis-associated myself by my old Congregation. I have openly joined a Political Party, and been campaigning for them for a number of years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit