Have you ever looked back at your early posts on here?

by stuckinarut2 16 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes and I've not changed much, except I can't write as clearly now and I used to know more things. But still resident semi-apologist at your service.

• cofty
    cofty

My beliefs have not changed at all. I have never stopped reading and learning new things so I guess I know more than I did then, particularly about science, nature, history and politics.

I am just as convinced as ever that there is no god but I am more sympathetic to those who think otherwise. I have a suspicion that religion has been/can be useful even though it is not true.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

This thread made me really think. I would say that when I first posted there was fear of exposure, not to God, but to other active JW's. Now they can take a flying leap as far as I care.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

When I started posting I thought I'd be disfellowshipped in due course and was preparing myself mentally to deal with it. That's primarily what was consuming me along with dealing with the aftermath of learning everything I held dear was wrong.

To my surprise, eleven years out and my family has never interrogated me about why I stopped going to meetings. Outside of one courtesy phone call from the presiding overseer, the elders have left me alone. It helps that I moved far away.

I have been able to maintain a decent relationship with my family and there's an unspoken understanding among us not to bring up the topic. It works for us.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It is also amazing at how many of us have changed our views of a "god"!

Would it be true to say that most who wake up to TTATT also wake up from a dependency to believe in divine entities?

• Simon
    Simon

I think I'm getting softer and kinder in my old age, also wiser and more handsome but you probably can't tell that last one from the posts.

One thing is sure though, there's nothing to be gained from reading some of MY own posts except maybe laughter.

I find my views on politics and society, including religion, have shifted somewhat - sometimes it's more about picking the best side available than trying to find the perfect side that doesn't exist. Do I agree with Christianity? Not at all. But do I think they are the worst thing / biggest threat to society? Not really. I feel others do the choice in reverse - they pick whichever side is most against the things they are against and it's a mistake and leads people to backing what should otherwise be unacceptable options.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Yes, definitely have changed my outlook on so many things.

I used to think that there was still a "truth" out there, that there was a God somewhere, and that the present Governing Body had somehow apostasized....

Now I'm very close to being an atheist, and have become much more humanitarian and people & community focused... Feel much better about myself & my value and worth to the people around me, that family is indeed, our life blood... that is important to make this life the best it can be for not just oneself but the people around us... We all in this together... 💕

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit