Using gods name

by Gorbatchov 15 Replies latest jw friends

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    Overrated: How about the supper righteous where everytime they speak, every other word is Jehovber. If someone keeps saying my name I would think they are some sort of retard.

Amen to what you say Overrated! Most of our servant body when opening or closing a meeting with prayer will say 'Jehovah' anywhere from 5 to up to 15 times. On average they have a need to say that name at least once in every sentence of their prayer. It almost comes across as a mantra or chant!

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

Jesus therefore said to those Jews that had believed him, If ye abide in my word, then are ye truly my disciples; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
    But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for such doth the Father seek to be his worshippers. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
    There is no fear in love: but perfect love casteth out fear, because fear hath punishment; and he that feareth is not made perfect in love.
    Worshiping God should not be under the fear of punishment or superstitiously.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Let's keep it simple. Jehovah was not God's name it is a made up name that was first published by a Catholic Monk in I think the 12th century maybe the 13th. The WTBTS acknowledges this.

If Jesus was down with Father or Lord....... leave it be. Good enough for Jesus....... good enough for me.

I think that there is a case to be made for not calling God by a man made name.

There is also a level of disrespect at play. If I am walking down a street in my small city where everyone just about knows everyone else and I hear "Hey Gio! Giordano !" I am going to respond...however if some one calls me John or Jolly Rodger then I know they don't mean me. So I don't interact.

Now let's move this to a different place. Heaven is God's home. Did you ever think how pissed off God would be if your praying to a God with a made up name like...Jehovah? Is that one of the reasons God doesn't interact?

Now you've got the reason prayers are not answered. There's no one home and there's no answering service.

A final thought...... Christians were supposed to be Witnesses For Jesus.......... says so some 20 times plus in the New Testament...witness of Jehovah is mentioned once in the Old Testament .

The Society really screwed up when they named their shinny new religion...... Jehovah's Witnesses. To this day people are confused by that name. We explained out in service that Jehovah is the name of our God...before the door is slammed in our face.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Seem like the the god of the old testament and new testament has some sort of personality disorder!?! In the first part of the bible wants to destroy everything and in second part loves everyone. Which one is it?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Christians were supposed to be Witnesses For Jesus.......... says so some 20 times plus in the New Testament...witness of Jehovah is mentioned once in the Old Testament .

Amen to that : And if someone says yes, but the name Jesus means Jehovah saves or some such thing, that does not excuse you for substituting Jesus name for Jehovah.

The New Testament is clear.Christians ,followers of Jesus are to be witnesses for Jesus and not Jehovah.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated
    Giordano wow... just wow... who cares. Jehovah is Yahweh.. get over a transliteration. Here let me help:

Jesus,Jesus,Jesus,Jesus,Jesus,Jesus,Jesus, etc.

Sorry I forgot his name was Yeshua.

Yes a monk made us the name Jehovah but to be honest I give the guy credit.. at least he could write and translate to a degree. Jehovah preserved YHWH enough that he could get away with it enough to be repeated by Tyndale etc.

BTW why worship this god? Do you worship Zeus... no. Brahma? No.. Amman-Ra.. No... Yahweh...uh... yes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit