Mandatory Donations-2.

by Atlantis 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Mandatory Donations-2

Catholic Church Donation Cards

https://uploads.weconnect.com/mce/e114c448f4ab8554ad14eff3d66dfeb3965ce8fc/Tithing%20Pledge%20Card.pdf

JW Donation Cards

https://docdro.id/9QvIDHT

The second one was handed out to the head of the house for Jehovah's Witnesses. Is there really a difference in the main point of these forms?

Don't forms like these scream the word: TITHE? Do some people really believe the Watchtower wouldn't have their own methods and cards?
    Isn't the bottom line the same? They want your money every month and they want a person to feel obligated to give it. They want to have something on paper that makes a person feel as though they are under divine oath.
    Do JW's feel they won't make it into their New System if they can't pay what they promised? If so, who is making them feel that way?

Petra!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

i used to do the collection boxes at the conventions. Usually at least one person would put some money in my box. But occasionally I'd put a little bit of money in so I had something to carry back in 3 or 4 cardboards boxes stuck one on top of the other.

There were times in the day when you'd get more money than at others (publication release was usual high point). But there weren't that many who felt they had to give.

I'd position my box, next thing, I'd be getting run over by everyone. Their mission was chat, food and toilets. Donating money wasn't high on their agenda. Not in my part of the world anyway. But that was then.

As they brought in the those pledge forms, I stopped doing the boxes and took up the more sensible activity of having a coffee.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Anna Marina:

I would have done the same thing Anna! In fact, coffee sounds good about right now. Come on Anna, we will grab some coffee and check the stores. (If any are open.)

Petra!

• BourneIdentity
    BourneIdentity

Atlantis

is this something they will be emailing everyone or is this just an example of a form they handed out a long time ago when everyone would meet at the Hall?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

These were handed out some time ago, so the form is a normal thing for JW's. It's just that a lot of people have never seen one.

Petra!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    Bourneldentity: Is this something they will be emailing everyone or is this just an example of a form they handed out a long time ago when everyone would meet at the Hall?

I remember a form very similar to the above link a couple years back. In our circuit...the family heads were expected to stick to their pledge. Once a month the COBE when accounts reports were read (with direction from headquarters) would get on his bully pulpit and say something to the effect...'Remember what y'all family heads pledged to give...let your yes mean yes'... type of badgering!

I, for one, am expecting a very strong arm ( 💪 ) approach again...some fashion directed to rank & file members to guilt them into giving $$$.

• BourneIdentity
    BourneIdentity

JW Gone Bad

ironic they will recall the scripture about your yes meaning yes, but disregard the one about only giving willingly and not under compulsion. Makes me sick.

• minimus
    minimus

They are asking you to commit yourself to giving them money!

• minimus
    minimus

Charles Taze Russell must be spinning on his throne

• Listener
    Listener

Awake 75 7/22 states

"It has been contended that remarks made by Jesus Christ in the Sermon on the Mount forbid his followers to take oaths. Jesus stated: “Again you heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You must not swear without performing, but you must pay your vows to Jehovah.’ However, I say to you: Do not swear at all, neither by heaven, because it is God’s throne; nor by earth, because it is the footstool of his feet; nor by Jerusalem, because it is the city of the great King. Nor by your head must you swear, because you cannot turn one hair white or black. Just let your word Yes mean Yes, your No, No; for what is in excess of these is from the wicked one.”​—Matt. 5:33-37; compare James 5:12.

Did Jesus mean that it is wrong for his followers to take oaths of any kind? No, we cannot draw that conclusion, for various reasons. ..."

They then explain how in Hebraw law they took oaths (which is exactly what Jesus was saying and replacing with a new command) and use that to say it is okay. Then they explain it is a conscience matter, in some circumstances, for you to determine if it is an oath that is against God's will.

Therefore the GB have determined that it is appropriate for JWs to make resolutions or to promise certain monthly amounts. They also have special full time servants sign an oath to obey the GB. Obeying Jesus' words are optional.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit