Newspaper article on Conventions—why so glowing?

by Londo111 38 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Londo111 - "Newspaper article on Conventions- why so glowing?"

Odds are these pieces are (ghost)written by WT reps.

Par for the course for a group that buys their own award for a video they themselves made. :smirk:

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Here in Atlanta one year, a newspaper blurb about the district convention included a photo of the audience. One person could be seen yawning a huge gaping bored yawn. LOTS of irritated warnings followed in the months after, in the local "needs" talks.

Marina

• millie210
    millie210

You are right vidiot.

DOC mentioned it in his post too.

I know this because I used to take the press releases (already prepared by the Org and the local brothers would fill in the who- what- when- where part) to the newspaper office and drop them off.

The other thing that would happen is the convention chairman would have the press called and if there is a slow news day or if the community events section is not filled, a reporter comes and is treated like a VIP.

They "interview" someone from the chairmans office and get toured around a bit.

The television crews are handled the same way.

• oldskool
    oldskool

Local newspapers, hard on cash and low on resources, are not going to look at a rather boring and non controversial convention brining in tourism bucks as an avenue for investigative journalism.

JWs are a group the general public cares little about. Unless they take an active stance in support of Donald Trump, nobody's going to care about them this year.

• millie210
    millie210
    Iown Mylife
    Here in Atlanta one year, a newspaper blurb about the district convention included a photo of the audience. One person could be seen yawning a huge gaping bored yawn. LOTS of irritated warnings followed in the months after, in the local "needs" talks.
    Marina

Thats pretty funny.

Note to selves: Any of you attending this year be sure to yawn if you see cameras rolling!

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has staff that handle PR at headquarters and also at conventions. An elder in my old congregation headed that up at conventions for years. He had a template from headquarters but he e-mailed it to a list of the local news media and acted as a representative. Always glowing.

• smiddy
    smiddy

zeb ,that is a common practice to have special editions that are only sold at the convention sights.

Naive JW`s think what a great witness is given to the community not knowing they are the only ones receiving those copies.

smiddy

• Londo111
    Londo111

http://swtimes.com/news/return-jehovahs-witness-convention-spells-big-bucks-fort-smith

I really suspect that money talks and economic self interest keeps newspapers from reporting anything remotely not glowing...

• fugue
    fugue

I work in a public relations department. I've written press releases about my company that were picked up by news outlets and run almost verbatim. I've written press/media releases inviting reporters to come see an event that promotes my company. Cameras from the local TV news, microphones from radio stations, and writers may all show up, as long as there isn't a huge car wreck, plane crash, or double murder on the other side of town. And 9 times out of 10, all of the stories follow the guidance you gave in the media release. It's public relations 101. You tell the media what you want them to write, and as long as you pitch it well, they usually will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit