A.N.Z.A.C Day. 25th April.

by zeb 8 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

The 25 th of April is the day that Australia and New Zealand commemorate their war dead.

"They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old,

age shall not weary them,

at the going down of the sun,

we shall remember them."

• Tantalon
    Tantalon

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

I am so glad that I am mentally free enough now to be grateful for and understand the need for our service men and women. I live in the vicinity of an air base and just witnessed a fast and low fly by by some jets,in honour of the fallen. Awesome; thank you for your service.

Scared the Bjesus out of the dog LOL

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

My grandfather-in-law was an ANZAC. We have his call up papers. Same name as my husband. He was in the battles at Yprés.

• zeb
    zeb

Thank you Tantalon for the better rendition, I was working from memory.

A sibling lived near a base too and he tells of soldiers in full kit would some times be seen leaving the base in a hurry..

What is the quote by Thomas Jefferson, "Rough men stand ready to do terrible things in our name."

When the Vietnam war called by conscription here I applied as an objector and the elders told me to say it was my idea (alone). I was to refuse any alternative service too as, again my own idea. For me an early example of the wts keeping a distance from having to appear in court. No mention what so ever of any financial help either from the Elders or the damned society.

• zeb
    zeb

As information the term A.N.Z.A.C comes from Australia and New Zealand Army Corp. In the Great War 1914 - 1918 supplies for the soldiers were requisitioned with the full name and its believed a stores officer abbreviated it to the anzac term as easier to write.

Australian also will eat tough oatmeal biscuits also called ANZACS as the mum/wives at home would bake them seal them in a tin and send them off to their men over seas.

The figures will vary but some 62,000 Australians were killed in the Great War and a further 156,000 were wounded.

A generation (a real one ) later in the World War 1939 - 1945,.. 27,073 were kia with 23,477 wounded. A huge number were taken prisoners of war some 30,560 and 8,296 died in captivity.

Consider this horrendous loss from a new little country with a population of over 8,000,000.Even smaller was New Zealand and their losses 16,697 KIA and 41,317 wounded were from a population of just over 1,000,000.

American soldiers in the Great War were 'shepherded' into their first action (Bellieu Wood.?) by Australians. The records may say by British but Australia was a British colony so it was normal to refer to any Commonwealth forces as British..

and this from the Governor General this am in Canberra the Australian capital.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-25/governor-general-delivers-anzac-day-commemorative-speech/11046372

Indeed the resurrection is going to be crowded me thinks..

Live long prosper in wisdom love and peace.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think ANZAC day today was attended by a record number of people all over the country. And I think that so many young people who were involved either as participants in the services or just observers in the crowds is a great testimony to the respect and gratitude they have for those who served in those wars and conflicts so that we may have and enjoy the lucky land that we live in .

Thanks for starting this post zeb on this day.

All Australians and new Zealanders should be proud of this day.

An uncle of mine was a P.O.W. of the Japanese in WW2

• sir82
    sir82

For those who want a pretty good depiction of why April 25 is the day selected:

https://www.amazon.com/Gallipoli-Mel-Gibson/dp/B000J420W8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=movie+gallipoli&qid=1556181558&s=gateway&sr=8-1

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

We are all ANZACS - Australia New Zealand Apostate Collective.

• Witchettygrub
    Witchettygrub

Zeb,

A salute to you for putting this up for us Aussies to remember our fallen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit