Why Do People Become Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Besides being raised in the religion , why do people become JWs?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Besides being raised in the religion , why do people become JWs?

THEY`RE..

Image result for crazy word art

Image result for Man in straight jacket

• Heaven
    Heaven

The JW craziness was brought into my family by my maternal grandfather. He converted from Catholicism to JW in the 1950s. He was disgusted with his religion when the coffins of the aborted babies from the Nuns on Nuns Island in Montreal, Quebec were discovered. He had seen the priests row over to Nuns Island at night earlier in his life and put 2 and 2 together. The coffins had been buried around the Basilica and were dug up when the subway was being constructed (according to the story my Mom told me).

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

in the wrong queue ?

• Londo111
    Londo111

It's been said that often people have previously encountered some tragedy in their life, or change or stress, that predisposes a person. A death of a love one. Moving to an area where they've few friends.

People don't plan on becoming JWs. It is a low and slow process. They are introduced to teachings that make some sort of sense, they decide to learn more without thinking they will commit to anything. They are not exposed to contrary information sources and are warned against it.

They might not believe everything, but they make a few changes to their behavior, and their beliefs soon align to their behavior. That starts a cycle of modifying their behavior to more align with their beliefs, which aligns their minds to the beliefs ever more, ect...

They like getting attention from JWs visiting them...that leads to meeting invites where they are lovebombed. They mostly only see the positive, public face. It's hard to reconcile anything negative (however true) with this lovebombing. Even if they don't agree with some things initially, all they see is nice, "loving" people and they want more of whatever it is they feel they have that makes them that way.

• millie210
    millie210

A lot of us were born in to it no doubt.

To think about converting, I guess the love bombing would be a powerful tool?

• freddo
    freddo

Resurrection hope seemed to be a common theme among otherwise indomitable ladies - those that came in in the fifties and sixties. That and the 1975/generation malarkey kept them in and brought their husbands in and their children too.

I think the 1980's brought in the last of the "normal" cohesive families of Dad/Mum and kids. The quality dropped off until about the year 2000 and since then it's been the whack-a-doodles and "issues" types.

• Tallon
    Tallon

My parents converted. I was only 8 years old at the time. Over a passage of time it ended up being wasted years.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

My mother became a JW when I was 16. She kept at me and eventually decided on a study. Back then, I thought it was a quaint little Christian faith group that had a clear understanding of the bible. Being young and impressionable, I thought it would meet my spiritual needs. Little did I realise it would take over my life!

• blondie
    blondie

Family members who become jws recruit other family members

Having a recent loss, child, spouse, serious illness, financial problems, drug/alcohol addictions

Looking for friends...solitary person

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit