People named after Jesus ? / people named after Jehovah /Yahweh ?

by smiddy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

In Catholic dominated Countries many people are named after the Messiah Jesus , are their any that are named after his GOD Jehovah / or Yahweh ? Anywhere in the world ?

I have only come across one , in America of all places.

His name was Yahweh Ben Yahweh , and I don`t think he would be used as an example by the WT society.

Google him.

Has their been anybody else ? None to my knowledge , but I could be wrong.

What say ye , do you know of anybody else in history ?

smiddy

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I could be wrong, but wasn't the name Jesus just fairly common even back in ancient times?

And that seeing that the name Jehovah was a more recent development, and came attached with "religious veneration", it never caught on as a name for babies...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm thinking of changing my name to "Jeezis Aich Kreist"...

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I have a good friend named Jesus from Mexico but never met someone named Jehovah.

I guess it's better for some one to be named Jesus then Adolf Hitler. Just recently there

was program on people that was named Hitler. One guy from South America his father named him

Hitler , he moved to America and that's when he found out about the person behind the name.

The one guy who named his son A. Hitler the state took his son away, he was a skin head.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Years ago, I was giving a public talk in a congregation in Tacoma, Washington, USA and this lady came in who was, shall we say, a bit off. The friends told me she changed her legal name to Jehovah.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I've known two Hispanics named Santos which means saint in Spanish and no, they weren't saintly.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Here in Brazil, there are quite a few people named Jehovah (Jeová).

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Here in the American Southwest, there are a lot of Hispanic men with the name Jesus (pronounced Hay-zoose). When I encounter them, sometimes I like to say "Hey Jesus (pronounced Jee-Zuss) How's it hangin' ?"

We got a fella named Jesus that works in the local hardware store. Nice guy. I wonder how many people named after deities get the calling to serve the deity they are named after?

TB-

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

A lot of Latino kids here (on the east coast) anglicize the pronunciation of their names. So Angel, which would normally be pronounced "An hell" in Spanish is often pronounced "Ain jell," the English pronunciation.

I guess it's their way of fitting in.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

When I first moved to Spain and met my first "Jesus" it was a bit weird but after 3 or 4 you start to get used to it but when I spoke to one bro in UK he thought it was "blasphemous" they used it for their children.

The pronunciation over there of "Hey Zeus" I found quite amusing tho.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit