Why ExJW's should care about the FBI vs. Apple encryption case

by juandefiero 4 Replies latest jw friends

• juandefiero
    juandefiero

Many people that don't keep up with technology news are, at best, vaguely aware that Apple is fighting a court order to create a tool for the government to unlock one of the San Bernadino terrorist's iPhone.

What the FBI is asking for could jeopardize the security of all iPhones. Besides the obvious possible slippery slope leading to governmental abuse of this technology they're asking Apple to create, there is a more personal reason for many ExJW's to be concerned about.

Anytime you create a weakness in information security, there is always the possibility of that weakness being exploited. Sometimes, those weaknesses are difficult to exploit, sometimes they are easy. Sometimes, though the weakness was difficult to exploit, once it is exploited, tools can be created that make the weakness easier to exploit.

Think about an undercover ExJW. Perhaps he is married. Perhaps the only place he can do his research and vent about his situation is on his phone. Perhaps his wife is suspicious, but she doesn't know how to get into his phone, so she has no proof.

Well, if the FBI requires Apple to create an OS vulnerability for their purposes (which is exactly what they are asking) that opens the door to the possibility that due to this poorly conceived quest of the FBI's, the undercover ExJW's uberdub wife could someday have a tool that unlocks the phone.

Now think about it from the point of view if the undercover ExJW was underage, and it was his parents unlocking his phone.

This is serious business, folks. The decision in this case will have far reaching consequences for National Security, personal privacy, and protection of whistle blowers.

Tell the White House why strong encryption is important to you.

For an entertaining overview of the issue, check out this story from John Oliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjZ2r9Ygzw

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Can't one just erase cookies, history, etc. or go incognito on the Chrome browser to cover their tracks? A password protected phone isn't a necessity is it? I'm not an Apple user. Can you not do similar things on the iPhone?
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Even more worrying is the fact that the Borg routinely promotes and uses Apple products - how about they themselves checking for " moles" or any dissenters inside the org this way.....
  • juandefiero
    juandefiero
    dubstepped: Can't one just erase cookies, history, etc. or go incognito on the Chrome browser to cover their tracks? A password protected phone isn't a necessity is it? I'm not an Apple user. Can you not do similar things on the iPhone?

Many people feel safe on their phone. When I was waking up, I downloaded Crisis of Conscience to my phones e-reader. That's not something you read for a little while and then delete...the only place I felt safe enough to store that PDF was on my phone.

I also downloaded older WT publications that showed TTATT.

I know some that have alternate Google profiles and use Google Hangouts on their phones to communicate with others.

Deleting cookies and browser history isn't enough if you're doing things beyond the browser.

Diogenesister: Even more worrying is the fact that the Borg routinely promotes and uses Apple products - how about they themselves checking for " moles" or any dissenters inside the org this way.....

What's also worrying is that if the FBI wins this case, it sets a precedent. There would be nothing preventing them from demanding that Google, Microsoft and Blackberry do the same with their Mobile OS's, thus compromising nearly all mobile smartphones in use today.

• Kick50r
    Kick50r

Privacy is on a heated debate right now. On one hand ppl demand privacy on-line , on the other hand ppl demand security. Hard Balance .The outcome of this will surely affect us all.

AT THE MOMENT , to my knowledge there is no REAL anonymity in the web unless encrypted coms are used as in the I-phone and some other systems alike.

The "regular user" can be anonymous to the " regular user" sort of thing.

For the "advanced users" there are some more options , but ultimately is the organization that implements the system that control the system aka internet providers keeping logs for XXX years connection records that can be accessed under a judge request.For those that will go on about Thor witch I have , lets not just forget , that was the result of a U.S. Navy research project.

Ps. Smartphones are the most vulnerable devices to be hacked. There is software (OOOooooo) on line to monitor/track/register/delete/destroy phones or send data masked when Wi-Fi is on to a remote serve that can be accessed anywhere on the planet.

The Current State of technology is much more advanced of the one perceived by the general population I imagine.

Take Care All

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit