Newbee here - question about baptism validity and special circumstance

by MrRoboto 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Hi everyone! I would like to thank the operators of this website and all the others here who support those who are walking up. Perhaps I'll share some personal story stuff at another time but I've been lurking here for a while, maybe 2 years or so. Finally got the bearings to create an account :)

I have a question mainly for current/ex elders out there but anyone can feel free to comment: my friend was baptized while still technically being part of military in the (branch withheld) Reserve. I've read that (elder book and elsewhere) of a person is smoking/formulating/drugs etc - stuff that would get you DF, then you can't get baptized and that it may be ground for annulment.

Any thoughts on this? My friend was thinking to just write bethel but before going through the obvious avalanche of nonsense that would bring, they wanted to ask in a more drama free setting.

??

• waton
    waton

Never heard of someone having the baptism annulled. heard of re=baptism though, by a person that was not really understanding the dedication that is supposed to precede the immersion. what degree of non-compliance would require doing it again? or have you re-classified as an outsider, or unbaptized "publisher"?

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

I'd like to clarify what my spell check missed above, it's supposed to be IF a person is doing those things, and that they would normally result in a DF for a baptized person, that they would not be eligible for baptism but if they slipped by unnoticed, the baptism is not valid.

I think "reclassified" would be practically the same as annulment. Like making an announcement to the effect of "so and so has never been one of JWs"

Speaking of the dedication, I don't think I understood that dedication that is before baptism because now a days it almost seems like you were supposed to dedicate yourself to the org... to do GOD's will (Guardians Of Doctrine). I never heard of "Jehovah" or the JWs when I prayed my personal dedication, I just knew i wanted to do Gods will (boy was I ripe for the picking!)

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Any thoughts on this? My friend was thinking to just write bethel but before going through the obvious avalanche of nonsense that would bring, they wanted to ask in a more drama free setting.

Welcome to the forum.

I never heard of annulling their baptism, and in my opinion, that may be because of the arrogant JW position that they are right in everything that they say and do.

However, I do know of a person who was "re-baptized". Not sure about the particulars, but apparently she confessed to something she was doing that disqualified her from her first baptism. I was very young and not paying attention when I heard about it, so that's as far as I can go with that information.

My own baptism was a complete sham. I never took it seriously, and it showed all the way until I left. Nobody in any of the congregations I belonged to since I got baptized, ever questioned it nor made any fuss about it. Nobody questioned my reasons and motives behind my decision of baptizing.

I guess that what I am saying is that if there is a person questioning their standing with the WT based on their baptism, please know that such "dedication" is not binding you to anything. At the end of the day the WT has no authority and no saying over people's lives and decisions. It's all an illusion.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Baptism Nullification Letter Template

The above template includes official notification that they could be arrested if they make contact in any fashion.

There are no guarantees with any course of action because the org makes, changes and ignores the rules whenever they wish.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Was the Wrongdoer’s Baptism Valid?
    46. When dealing with wrongdoers,the elders should not raise questions about the validity of the individual’s baptism.If the individual raises the issue, the elders may refer him to the February 15, 2010,Watchtower,page 22. Further information on rebaptism can be found in the February 15,1964,Watchtower,pages 123-126, and the March 1,1960,Watchtower,pages 159-160. Rebaptism is a personal matter.

48. There are rare occasions when it is obvious that the baptism was invalid because serious wrongdoing did not cease before baptism, even for a brief period of time. For example, it may be that at the time of baptism, the individual was living immorally with a member of the opposite or the same sex, was a member of a non-neutral organization, or some-thing similar. If there are questions, the branch office should be consulted.

Source: Shepherd the Flock of God (secret elders manual).

According to these rules, your buddy may get what he wishes since the military is a 'non-neutral organization'. But I doubt it will really fly.
    Especially if he ever signed some paperwork (for Bethel service, RBC or whatever) after he left the military reserves; then they might argue he signed with Watchtower showed his decision to be a true Christian (e.g. a JW).

And fear not, even if his baptism is declared null and void, the effect will most likely be the same as when DFed or DAed: the big shun will start. After all, those who ever chose Watchtower Jehovah cannot simply walk away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit