Latest Ancient Coin - 660 Year Old Fourpence

by cofty 14 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

After a very quiet couple of hours detecting this afternoon I was chuffed to find this silver coin.

It is a Groat of Edward III of England. For a long time the only coin available was the silver penny. If you wanted to spend half a penny or a quarter you literally cut it up. The value was linked to the intrinsic value of the silver.

This is a Groat or "great penny" worth fourpence. It dates to between 1351 and 1361.

You might be able to make our "CIVITAS LONDON" on the reverse which tells us it was minted in London. The legend outside that on the reverse reads "POSVI DEUM ADIVTOREM MEUM" which means "I have made God my helper"

Nobody has seen this coin in 650 years.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Awesome! Are you keeping? selling? donating?

• contramundum
    contramundum

That is simply amazing !

• cofty
    cofty
    Awesome! Are you keeping? selling? donating?

By law everything belongs to the landowner. Like all my finds this coin was about 200 yards from my house. It was only about 3 inches below the surface. Eventually they will on display in the "Big House". At the moment I have over 20 ancient silver coins on display in my bookcase.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

That is so cool. Thanks for sharing that.

There's no way anything that old could be found in the US.

I get excited if I find a wheat penny from the early 20th century!

• Chook
    Chook

What brand of detector, in Australia they make a good gold detector called minelab

• atomant
    atomant

do u go detecting chook?lve got a minelab gpx4500 .weve just had floods here in the golden triangle victoria which has washed away a lot of top soil so will be going out detecting very soon.Hopefully a huge nugget turns up.

• Chook
    Chook

I've done in past but the bullet shells and old nails and cans kill me. My 2 children were born in Bendigo . The big nuggets are in dunnolly and kingower.

• atomant
    atomant

Spot on chook.lve found lots of gold in those areas including inglewood and weddurburn.Also found plenty of old coins and relics.

• cofty
    cofty
    What brand of detector

I use a Garrett AT Pro. Almost all my finds have been in the top 6 inches of plough soil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit