Dirt Fishing - Latest Coin Finds

by cofty 26 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

It's a big thrill to pick something out of the dirt that was lost by somebody 800 years ago. Somebody who lived and worked right here yards from where I live now. It motivates me to read history to get to know their lives.

I am writing a history of the estate where I live. The names of the families who lived here can still be discovered right back to the Norman Conquest.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Very cool. Keep posting updates.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

It''s hard to read threads like these and not hear the theme tune to Time Team.

I can only but imagine the excitement...

I used to get excited just watching that program. To do it for real must be such a rush.

• vienne
    vienne

I think all episodes of Time Team are on youtube. Still worth watching.

• LV101
    LV101

Nice photos, Cofty -- looks like you're having a good time and excel at dirt fishing/treasure finding and are more than qualified to write the estate history book as well as one guiding others in this activity -- seems to be lots of laws/rules which is understandable.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Apart from the historical value and importance of these finds cofty which by the way I find immense for you personally having found them, what about the monetary value to you in finding them is their any reward their ?

I would expect their would be but are they of much value ? To Museums ? are they interested in such finds ? Historians ? Collectors ? etc .etc.

I`m just curious

• cofty
    cofty

smiddy3 - I think a couple of the ancient coins I have found might have some value. Condition is everything. As you can see from the pics these two coins only have historical value. I have a threepence of Charles I that is in outstanding condition that I think may be worth a couple of hundred pounds.

Legally finds belong to the landowner but the finder has a 50% claim if anything gets sold. Everything I find is on this estate so we are not planning to sell anything unless I find treasure.

Here is a pic of the coin that might have some value. It was minted in York (EBOR) during the English Civil War by a famous French moneyer called Briot.

• blownaway
    blownaway

I have had a metal detector for many years. Don't use is like I would like to, mostly found ring pulls. Love the Britcom Detectorists. I was walking in a creek that was near an old Confederate civil war era saw mill and found this in the creek while looking for arrow heards. A nice horse shoe and pottery shard.

• cofty
    cofty

Here is tonight's find. It was in the same field as the other two in the OP.

It is a silver penny of James I dating from around 1620. James was the son of Mary Queen of Scots and Lord Darnley. The room in Edinburgh Castle where he was born is visited by thousands of tourists every year. He succeeded to the Scottish throne as James VI of Scotland in 1567 aged 13 months. His mother - a Roman Catholic - was forced to abdicate and flee into England where she hoped to find refuge with her cousin Queen Elizabeth I. Instead she spent 20 years in custody before being beheaded at Fotheringhay Castle. James, who had been raised to believe the propoganda about his absent mother did nothing to assist her.

When Elizabeth died childless in 1603 James, the great-grandson of Margaret Tudor, inherited the English throne resulting in the Union of Crowns. He was crowned James I of England.

The coin has an English Rose on one side and a Scottish thistle on the other.

The inscriptions read ...

I D G ROSA SINE SPINA = 'James by the Grace of God a rose without a thorn'

TUETUR UNITA DEUS = 'May God guard these United Kingdoms'

I haven't posted a pic of the other side as it is in very poor condition.

• LV101
    LV101

Oh, my, Cofty, appreciate the history. His poor mother!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit