Drugs, prayer & altered states of consciousness

by deegee 3 Replies latest social humour

• deegee
    deegee

Have you got your "fix" yet?

Hallucinogens are known to induce altered states of consciousness..........but so can prayer:

Acts 10:9-23:
    "On the next day, as they were on their way and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour TO PRAY. But he became hungry and was desiring to eat; but while they were making preparations, HE FELL INTO A TRANCE; and he saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground, and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air. A voice came to him, "Get up, Peter, kill and eat!" But Peter said, "By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean." Again a voice came to him a second time, "What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."

This happened three times, and immediately the object was taken up into the sky. Now while Peter was greatly perplexed in mind as to what the vision which he had seen might be, behold, the men who had been sent by Cornelius, having asked directions for Simon's house, appeared at the gate; and calling out, they were asking whether Simon, who was also called Peter, was staying there. While Peter was reflecting on the vision, The spirit said to him, "Behold, three men are looking for you. "But get up, go downstairs and accompany them without misgivings, for I have sent them Myself."

Acts 11:4-18:
    "But Peter began speaking and proceeded to explain to them in orderly sequence, saying, "I was in the City of Joppa PRAYING; and IN A TRANCE I saw a vision, an object coming down like a great sheet lowered by four corners from the sky; and it came right down to me, and when I had fixed my gaze on it and was observing it I saw the four-footed animals of the earth and the wild beasts and the crawling creatures and the birds of the air.
    "I also heard a voice saying to me, 'Get up, Peter; kill and eat.' "But I said, 'By no means, Lord, for nothing unholy or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' "But a voice from heaven answered a second time, 'What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.' "This happened three times, and everything was drawn back up into the sky. "And behold, at that moment three men appeared at the house in which we were staying, having been sent to me from Caesarea. "The spirit told me to go with them without misgivings.

Acts 22:17-21:
    “It happened when I returned to Jerusalem and was PRAYING at the temple, I FELL INTO A TRANCE and saw the Lord speaking to me. ‘Quick!’ he said.‘Leave Jerusalem immediately, because the people here will not accept your testimony about me.’

Ain't nothing like a "fix" of prayer!

No wonder the Bible insists that we should "pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17)!

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

I'm a recovering addict. When I returned to the organization back in 2014 and newly sober, I was told to pray every time I got an urge to use, because being closest to Jehovah was the "best high one can experience". An hour into one intense prayer, I remember asking Jehovah, "so when does this start to feel like cocaine?"

• never a jw
    never a jw

Yep! That's how it works.

• mrmagic
    mrmagic

LOL no prayer in the world can compare to a heroic dose of Psilocybe Mushrooms. You may pray yourself into a dizzy tizzy, but it is absolutely NOT the same as a psychedelic experience.

Now, on the other hand, combining a strong structured ritual/prayer with psychedelics like psilocybe mushrooms, in a responsible, safe setting can certainly boost your prayers, if you're into that. There can be many spiritual and psychotherapeutic benefits to psychedelics, given they are taken in a safe and setting.

Also, comparing cocaine, crack and booze to plant teachers like psychedelic mushrooms, catcti, Ayahuasca, and other plant teachers is also a common bias.

Psychedelics are not for everyone and there is no substitute for your own sobering hard work in controlling your mind, connecting with your inner Divine, and working through life's challenges without any external consumption.

However, there is also NO substitute for psychedelics and the psychedelic experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit