Today's WT. Jephthah's Daughter - Virgin Slave or Crispy Critter?

by Slidin Fast 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lieu
    Lieu

What I find odd about bible "scholars", particularly Christians, is that they never seem to ask the Jews about their own writings.

Jepthah's daughter, the question posed of the lady who had seven husbands ( I know where that came from), the saying 'Where the dead body is there the vultures will gather.' (Where there's smoke there's fire. Ie, it will be obvious)

Ya gotta ask stuff if you want to know the whole of what's going on/being said.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Jehovah`s Witnesses / Bible Scholars ? HAHAHAHAHA , pull the other leg , HAHAHAHA

smiddy

• aboveusonlysky
    aboveusonlysky

New Living Translation
    When she returned home, her father kept the vow he had made, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel. for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah's daughter.

Yup, sounds like she was toast.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Most versions say that the daughters of Israel went to either lament or commemorate the nameless daughter. The shiny NWT is amongst very few that imply she still lived.

If anyone has any knowledge of the Hebrew word used it would be interesting. The weight of other translations make me suspect that the few agreeing with the NWT do so for for less than honest motives.

• zophar
    zophar

Adam Clarke's Commentary makes this comment.

"From Judges 11:39; it appears evident that Jephthah's daughter was not Sacrificed to God, but consecrated to him in a state of perpetual virginity; for the text says, She knew no man, for this was a statute in Israel. בישראל חק ותהי vattehi chok beyishrael ; viz., that persons thus dedicated or consecrated to God, should live in a state of unchangeable celibacy. Thus this celebrated place is, without violence to any part of the text, or to any proper rule of construction, cleared of all difficulty, and caused to speak a language consistent with itself, and with the nature of God."

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

zophar, yes, that is the pious view. Many other commentaries hold the opposite one that since Jephthah's background was as it was, human sacrifice was a fairly normal practice for him. It is hard to get round the simple text "burned offering".

More later. i've got to go.

• zophar
    zophar

Slidin Fast

I agree. Matthew Henry in his commentary believes it was a literal sacrifice for example.

If it wasn't a literal burnt offering, then it made me think of Catholic Nuns. Virgins who are married to God.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I think my point is that either explanation is possible although toast is slightly more probable. The FDS hot line from heaven though is absolute. They somehow have a certainty that is impossible to justify, they make their bold unsupported statements and nobody bats an eye lid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit