Proof for the resurrection of Chrisr...

by The Rebel 9 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Posted on friends :-) Anyway I hope everyone agrees even in disagreement, the discussion can be fruitful. Personally I usually find the atheism views more compelling than the Christian view point, however I value both insights and conversations when the comments are respectful.

As it's coming up to Eater, could I therefore pose the question to Christians can you offer compelling evidence for the resurrection of Christ? Evidence is a fact or a set of facts, or maybe I should rephrase my question " the resurrection is reasonable to hold to because of reasonable evidence that can be submitted for that conclusion"

Please note reasonable people can so believe, other reasonable people may not so believe, however respect for posters age, education and faith appreciated. Now boxing gloves on :-)

• Divergent
    Divergent

Err... it's true because there were many eyewitnesses. The Bible says so. And the Bible is the word of God, so it is truth!

• Landy
    Landy

There isn't any.

What you choose to believe however is totally up to you.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Hundreds of zombies came out of their tombs and went shopping in jerusalem, partied hard and then went to their houses and snuggled up in their beds with the current owners. A good time was had by all.

It's all on record, the Romans were keen record keepers.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I am not a historian, and neither have I looked in to the contemporary primary source writings from the time period of Jesus, but I believe a point of contention is as " divergent" mentions the lack of documentation outside the bible about the resurrection ? Can anyone offer any outside documentation in support of the resurrection?

Also reading the bible versions it seems to me one has to subjectively pick and choose what passages to take literally and what not, I.e Matthew 27v52 -and the dead saints rising, from there tombs and entering Jerusalem. Which as " Witness My Fury" noted is a passage difficult to take tliterally?

However what I would like to gain from this thread, is to be converted by the arguments that Jesus rose from the dead, and evidence for the resurrection is required.

The Rebel.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Matthew 27v52 -and the dead saints rising, from there tombs and entering Jerusalem.

From Insight on the Scriptures: *** it-2 pp. 368-369 Memorial Tomb ***
    ‘Tombs Opened’ at Jesus’ Death. The text at Matthew 27:52, 53 concerning “the memorial tombs [that] were opened” as the result of an earthquake occurring at the time of Jesus’ death has caused considerable discussion, some holding that a resurrection occurred. However, a comparison with the texts concerning the resurrection makes clear that these verses do not describe a resurrection but merely a throwing of bodies out of their tombs, similar to incidents that have taken place in more recent times, as in Ecuador in 1949 and again in Bogotá, Colombia, in 1962, when 200 corpses in the cemetery were thrown out of their tombs by a violent earth tremor.—El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia, July 31, 1962.

Just because the Bible says it happened, evidently(TM), according to WT, that does not mean it really happened.

Doc

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone
    I think Josh McDowell offered what you are looking for in his book Evidence that Demands a Verdict. Not sure if it is volume 1 or 2. I can't remember if Lee Strobel had something about it in The Case for Christ.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes he has returned but for some unknown reason he picked Siberia.

The Watchtower Publishing house was right all along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Cv5hZfOmk

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Seems amazing to me that - if there was someone who could raise the dead, and heal any ailment, that maybe someone would have written about it earlier than 40 years after the "person" was killed.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Surprised by the luck of response to the thread. Why?

Because I assumed each poster here had at one time heard the stories of " The Resurrection of Christ" and had been led to believe. Why were we so awestruck by this story of " Christ rising from the dead"?

Surely I am not wrong the cavalry must come charging over the hill with evidence that this event happened? If not at least tell me why the " Easter Bunny" is mentioned in this wonderful Easter story?

The Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit