The Guardian: Former Jehovah's Witness elders call for mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse

by AndersonsInfo 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/10/former-jehovahs-witness-elders-call-for-mandatory-reporting-of-child-sexual-abuse?fbclid=IwAR13k3rZFeRKZVJJ5LbxEgZhJR1DkFw34GqCHGmS4gDmhJUFcV24HpzJcco

Two former Jehovah’s Witness elders have called for mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse, saying the organisation believes it is “answerable only to God”.

Duncan Corbett, who was an elder for 18 years, told the independent inquiry into child sexual abuse that the protection of minors and the handling of abuse claims must be taken out of the church’s hands. “Let them deal with the sin and the authorities handle the crime,” he told a hearing in London.

Lloyd Evans, another former elder who now campaigns against religious fundamentalism, said: “This is a group that feels they are answerable only to God … They don’t feel as though they need to yield to any regulations that are imposed on them.”

The pair, along with another former Jehovah’s Witness and a survivor of abuse, Sarah Davies, painted a picture in evidence to the inquiry of an organisation that demanded that its leaders be unquestioningly respected and obeyed, and that shunned members who failed to comply with its strict codes.

READ MORE: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/10/former-jehovahs-witness-elders-call-for-mandatory-reporting-of-child-sexual-abuse

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

What inquiry was this for?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Independant Inquiry Child Sexual Abuse (,IICSA) taking place in the UK at the present time.

• Poztate
    Poztate

It doesn't seem like the UK inquiry into child sexual abuse is quite as focused and determined to promote real change to WT policies that allow this situation to exist. It might just end at the fact finding level. I hope I am wrong and they will be able to somehow hold the WT to account for their deeply flawed policies. The Australian Royal Commission seemed to be more aggressive than them and even they are having a very hard time to effect any real change to the WT so far

• Earnest
    Earnest

Mr Gillies did say that Jehovah's Witnesses would comply with whatever the terms are of a law requiring mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse, that they would have a look at issuing an "edict" that field service should not take place where minors are separated from their parents, and that there is no religious objection for all elders and ministerial servants to be subject to enhanced DBS checks.

If the IICSA simply requires these three things to which Jehovah's Witnesses have no religious objection, that would go a long way to avoid situations that allow paedophiles opportunity within the congregations. It would also make it close to impossible for a paedophile with a criminal record to be appointed as an elder or ministerial servant no matter how much time has passed.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think the case for Mandatory Reporting has been well made by so many representatives to the Inquiry, that it is bound to call for it in its Report, which they "hope" will be published in the Summer of 2021. We then have to wait and see if the Government can be arsed to put their recommendations in to Law.

I hope it is, along with instituting a Government run Body that audits and oversees all these religious groups and makes sure they are doing things properly. But it is a waiting game, things move slowly in this sort of area.

• kramer
    kramer

@phizzy, it’s not going to happen Mandatory Reporting has been considered many times in the UK and consistently rejected, for many good reasons. Don’t get too excited!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    think the case for Mandatory Reporting has been well made by so many representatives to the Inquiry, that it is bound to call for it in its Report, which they "hope" will be published in the Summer of 2021.

I’m not convinced mandatory reporting will ever become law in the UK. I don’t think the experts will all fully agree to it. The worry is it stops kids coming forward if they think all adults will betray their trust, as the kid sees it. Remember much of it takes place in the home and because of the emotional blackmail involved there are many kids that will continue to suffer rather than countenance being removed from their family. Abuse within families is extremely complex and kids need to have somewhere to turn, someone who will take each case individually. For example you may have a situation where a kid is being abused by a mentally disabled sibling. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be stopped but first and foremost the kid needs to trust to open up. This is why, so far, it hasn’t been mandatory.

By the way m not making a judgement call I’m just explaining why it hasn’t happened so far. As Blondie would say “Not supporting , just reporting”

(By the way this wouldn’t apply to Jehovah’s witnesses I’m talking about groups like child line etc who aim to get kids coming forward as a first step.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit