phone scams

by zeb 15 Replies latest jw friends

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I received a phone call, "Is that (name)?"

I was working my way around a car park and answered

"yeah hang on" at which the caller hung up.

This is a scam where they are wanting you to confirm who you are so they can move on identity theft.

The voice was male clear like a professional announcer.

I have reported this to the relevant authorities.

I have also frozen my bank account.

Even when I recognize the caller, when they ask my name first my reply is always "Who's this?". I never answer with my name. Normally, unless I am expecting a call from a doctor, a store, or something I know will call me, i never answer the phone when I don't recognize the number. So far I've never had a problem.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

When there is a unknown type number, or a delay on the other end when I answer, once the person begins to speak I ask who this is (and if not recognized), then I say hello over and over ( like I can't hear anything). Then I find it is either a recording, or I just hang up without having to feel guilty for being "rude". They will leave a message if they are legit.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Why do you even take calls from unknown numbers? I certainly don't. Problem solved.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

No Apologies, business reasons for me.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I received this call several times, I pick up and there's a pause and I then say hello. The same lady that call before,

"sorry I having a problem with my head set". I told her you call here a number of times with the same excuse, head phone problem..She hung up......Yesterday I got a call on my cell phone while out on the golf course and I was having a bad round. (Me).. you have the wrong number..(Caller) but sir I haven't told you who I'am calling for. (Me) Ok so who are you calling ??(Caller) who is this? I told him don't call my damn number anymore and hung up.....

• Incognito
    Incognito

The warnings I have seen by local police, indicate the caller is only attempting to have you say "Yes". They record you making that statement which they edit, copy and insert into a variety of 'agreements'.

You then begin to receive phone bills containing numerous additional fees that you didn't subscribe to.

When you complain to your phone service provider, they will have been provided with an audio recording as proof of you (your voice) agreeing "Yes" to additional services from various 3rd parties. These could be for things such as the $4.95/min. dating or sex sites that advertise on late night TV.

So many people now have certain bills automatically paid directly from their bank account, they may not even look at their bill statement until months after it was paid.

The best approach if you answer a call and are asked if that is you, is to as scratchme1010 suggested, ask in return, "who's calling" so as not to say 'Yes', thereby foiling the attempt to have you appear to agree to something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit