JW jailed for £8million investment fraud - UK

by OrphanCrow 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/14276665.Victims__brainwashed__in___8m_investment_scam/

He told investors that his status as a Jehovah’s Witness meant he was unable to break the law, in an effort to win their trust.

Teesside Crown Court heard how many of the 350 victims were elderly and had been deliberately targeted.
    Some had since died with the stress of the County Durham-based fraud having contributed to their ill health, and others had lost homes and life savings.
    A third man the Crown said was involved, Anthony Kemp, is currently serving a prison sentence in New Zealand for a separate but similar fraud, but is expected to be extradited back to the UK to stand trial when he is released.

Full aricle at link.
  • Landy
    Landy

Orphan Crow - are you local to that area?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    not heard of this, will be posted on my wall
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    When I was in the JWs I used to think there were no bad JWs at all. Now I begin to wonder if there are any good ones?
  • GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Wow, know James and Gillian. Dont know the dad very well. I like this quote" the fraud was like a religion"

James was always a bit flash but never thought he had this in him. Ah well, you never can tell.

• Landy
    Landy
    @ goneawol - aye - small world.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Landy: Orphan Crow - are you local to that area?

No.

I am a Canadian.

sbf: When I was in the JWs I used to think there were no bad JWs at all.

Exactly. It was that idea that set up the JWs investors to be victimized:

"He told investors that his status as a Jehovah’s Witness meant he was unable to break the law"

How many times have we heard that "JWs are the most law abiding people around"? This is a myth that is propagated ad nauseum by the WTS. No wonder the JWs who lost their investments believed him.

• Mephis
    Mephis

I wonder how many of the investors were JWs too.

Thanks OC, shared elsewhere.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

oh dear--a con man in the JW ranks. who would have thought it ?

perfectly suited to each other i would have thought.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Most of them I'd guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit