Another Medieval Silver Coin

by cofty 12 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

I got out detecting for an hour this evening. The field just two minutes from my house has been harrowed but not seeded which makes it perfect for me. Hopefully it will stay that way until it is seeded in the spring.

I found this silver penny. It is from the reign of Edward I (Hammer of the Scots) and dates from 1305/1306.

The inscription on the obverse reads "EDWA R ANGL DNS HYB" which is an abbreviation of EDWARDVS REX ANGLIE DOMINVS HYBERNIE (Edward, King of England, Lord of Ireland). The reverse reads "CIVITAS LONDON" indicating where it was minted.

If you are reading this you are one of the first people to see this coin in over 700 years. That makes my total 5 silver this season so far.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

How exciting! Thrilling actually.

Thanks so much for sharing.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Stunning! Just amazing what lies beneath! Thanks fir pics.

• Simon
    Simon
    That makes my total 5 silver this season so far.

You've found so many I'm suspicious ... and I think I know how you're doing it. It's obviously a con, you are not "finding" these at all. I think you have built a time machine and are popping back to a local market, selling stuff you've bought from the local Tesco and bringing the money back! LOL

Seriously, there is something definitely cool about finding something so old, so small, that's been so lost for so long but a piece of the mosaic that helps to paint us a picture of the past.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

a TIME MACHINE - i want one!

Thank you so much for posting the photo, i enjoy seeing these finds of yours!

• cofty
    cofty

Imagine if you could pop back in time and bring back a few artefacts!

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

I love walking over freshly harrowed fields looking for arrow heads here in the colonies.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

cofty: One day we will read about you....www.sfgate.com/Gold-country-couple-discover 10-million in buried coins.

www.stgate.com/news/article/gold-country-couple-discover-10-million-in-5266314.php

• paladin1
    paladin1

I enjoy seeing rare old coins. They are valuable.

• LV101
    LV101

Amazing -- that's some field/area for your silver discoveries -- I wonder what it's worth.

Thanks for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit