The Patriarchy Paradox

by LoveUniHateExams 7 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

^^^ This is the title of a youtube video made by a teacher of 16 and 17 year old Eton students. He made it as a study aid with the idea being that it would stimulate debate.

Eton superiors told him to remove it from the lessons, which the teacher did. They then told him to remove it from his personal youtube account, which he refused. So, the Eton hierarchy sacked him. Yeah, sacked over a YT video.

Here is the video in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTHgMxQEoPI

What did you think of it?

• iXav
    iXav

it will help the conversation if you give your opinion about what is wrong or right in the situation

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

it will help the conversation if you give your opinion about what is wrong or right in the situation - first, I think the teacher could have deleted the footage of two cage fighters beating each other senseless. Students under 18 perhaps shouldn't see this.

Also, I am unsure of the video's rape statistic claims and would expect those to be challenged.

But that's about it. The video is well-referenced and a pretty good study aid for 16 and 17 year old students.

Here are my thoughts on human patriarchy and its origins …

The vast majority of social mammalian species have evolved to live in hierarchical groups. The spotted hyena (Crocuta crocuta) has evolved to live in matriarchal clans, with the lowest-ranking female outranking the highest-ranking male. The gorilla (Gorilla gorilla) has evolved to live in patriarchal groups lead by a dominant male, the silverback. Given that there is continuity between Homo sapiens and non-human species, human patriarchy is an organic, cross-cultural phenomenon that has arisen due to evolution via natural selection.

What this means is that moronic feminist demands to 'smash the patriarchy' and start from scratch simply will not work. We have ironed out many wrinkles (in the West, at least, women enjoy the same rights as men) but we can't turn society upside down and expect to thrive.

What I found particularly interesting re Eton's reaction to this video is that Eton itself is an institute committed to the development of boys - it's an all-boys fee-paying school. Strange, then, that Eton should seemingly hate masculinity, lol.

• iXav
    iXav

I thought you were going to discuss his sacking. The teacher could have made the video private on youtube and just move on. He was probably trying to make a point and he has the right to do so.

• What I found particularly interesting re Eton's reaction to this video is that Eton itself is an institute committed to the development of boys - it's an all-boys fee-paying school. Strange, then, that Eton should seemingly hate masculinity, lol.

Hate masculinity is a strong conclusion. If you were to ask people from different generations what their opinion of what masculinity is, most response will lean on societal ideas of their upbringing and environment. The older you are, the more your views of masculinity will be aligned with woman staying and home and the man being the bread winner. Younger generation will likely not share that point of view.

We have ironed out many wrinkles (in the West, at least, women enjoy the same rights as men) but we can't turn society upside down and expect to thrive.

The above is debatable and it also depends on where you live in the West. The fact that women have certain rights doesn't mean they are allowed to exercise them in the same way as men. Women have the rights to go topless in certain parts of the West but they have to cover their nipples (see the freethenipple movement ). Then you have society call those women whore.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The teacher could have made the video private on youtube and just move on - Eton higher-ups asked him to remove it, as far as I know.

Hate masculinity is a strong conclusion - but not necessarily incorrect. Don't you find it a little odd that Eton, an all-boys school of academic excellence, should view masculinity with apparent disdain. If Eton really feels this way the logical next step would be to admit girls and make it a mixed-sex school.

Women have the rights to go topless in certain parts of the West but they have to cover their nipples (see the freethenipple movement ) - this is a First World issue if ever there was one, lol. You'll have to give a better example than this. It's a simple fact that, in the West, women enjoy the same rights as men (and rightly so).

The above is debatable - what's debatable? The ironing out of many wrinkles or not being able to turn society upside down and expect to thrive? Both points seems pretty clear to me.

• iXav
    iXav
    Women have the rights to go topless in certain parts of the West but they have to cover their nipples (see the freethenipple movement ) - this is a First World issue if ever there was one, lol. You'll have to give a better example than this. It's a simple fact that, in the West, women enjoy the same rights as men (and rightly so).

I though that was a very good example I took a First World example as you said women in the West... Women enjoy the same rights but they are not often allowed to exercise those rights in the same way. The same way as men have the rights to be gynaecologist but some women wouldn't want a man performing science on her cherry. Some men wouldn't want their wives going to see a male gynaecologist. Having the same rights doesn't equate to being able to exercise those rights at the same level. That is another example now below the waistline

The above is debatable - what's debatable? The ironing out of many wrinkles or not being able to turn society upside down and expect to thrive? Both points seems pretty clear to me.

There are still wrinkles and just because people (feminist etc) challenge the status quo doesn't mean that they want to turn society on its head. Progress as we know it has often been a result of people challenging current views and forcing society to think differently.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

just because people (feminist etc) challenge the status quo doesn't mean that they want to turn society on its head - er, yeah, they do. You haven't been paying close enough attention.

Progress as we know it has often been a result of people challenging current views and forcing society to think differently - ok, but what happens when all legitimate demands have been met?

• iXav
    iXav
    just because people (feminist etc) challenge the status quo doesn't mean that they want to turn society on its head - er, yeah, they do. You haven't been paying close enough attention.

Ok, now is your turn to give an example.

Progress as we know it has often been a result of people challenging current views and forcing society to think differently - ok, but what happens when all legitimate demands have been met?

Someone will find something else to bitch about. The quest is insatiable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit