Bizarre image that puzzles me -- any tips?

by FatFreek 2005 11 Replies latest social current

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I am a sometimes weather buff and enjoy the various services our National Weather Service provides.

Interestingly, a few days ago (7/26/19 at 6:20 a.m. to be exact) I was looking at our Arkansas statewide weather radar image during breakfast. On that image, something appeared bizarre so I decided to do a screen capture on my Samsung tablet.

Today, I am still puzzled so I decided to share it with others in the hope that someone may offer solutions to the puzzle. Just below, is that captured (and unretouched) image.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Maybe what is called a hook echo, though to be fair there is usually a connection to the main part of the storm, in this case, it doesn't seem to be visible but nevertheless it's still showing on the southwest quadrant of the storm which is where it usually is.

• waton
    waton

It looks you had a donought rain ring west of Hot Springs AK.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the main bit looks a bit like Great Britain, you know--us across the pond.

• Simon
    Simon

It could just be a giant invisible donut in the sky.

OMG, the donut sky god is real and you have proof!

All hail, praise be unto the king ring of icing and sprinkles...

• waton
    waton
    "--All hail, praise--" S,

circular formations are common in weather patterns.

Most thermals raise in the center as hot air, and decent at the perimeter, when cooled, often with precip, hail and rain, looking like a giant mushroom cloud.

"OMG, the donut sky god is real and you have proof!"

It is Thor doing his thing in Billy and Hillary's old hunting grounds, telling us it, (whitewater and Paula Jones etal) is not forgotten,

• AshleyCollins
    AshleyCollins

is this somehow related to the jw stuff? lol ...at first I thought it's gonna be a pic of how strangely clouds appear above the headquarters haha and how they are controling the weather

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

It looks like a woman in a skirt running after a soccer ball.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

This weather event happened before and was featured on a unsolved mystery program on the Science Channel. They interviewed some experts and probable causes were brought forward. In the end there was no clear answer to the mystery donut shape seen on the Doppler radar image.

I just googled the effect and there is one case where it was caused by a swarm of birds. Your image seems to be too large for it to be birds.

Roost Ring Donut

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/07/29/roost-ring-donut-image-on-weather-radar-formed-by-birds/

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

In my JW days I'd be inclined to blame this (and most anything else I couldn't explain) on demon activity. Nowadays watching the History channel's Unexplained, a disc-like object could be a candidate.

However, I received an email response from the National Weather Service. He says:

'That "ring" is produced by birds taking flight from overnight rest. This link will help...'

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/2018-11-08-radar-bird-ring-taking-flight

Frankly, some of your answers make a bit more sense.

Acluetofindtheuser had already found the NWS stock answer but he added "Your image seems to be too large for it to be birds".

I tend to agree, Aclue. Besides, a flying saucer is probably more appealing to the masses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit