Happy Pi Day

by dothemath 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dothemath
    dothemath

Tomorrow is March 14 (3.14), so its known as Pi day, to honour the all-important constant.

Incidentally, the Bible has been criticized by mathematicians because the scriptures give a very poor value of Pi.

The scripture is based on 1Kings 7: 23 and reads as follows:

"and he proceeded to make the molten sea ten cubits from its one brim to its other brim, circular all around; and its height was five cubits, and it took a line of thirty cubits to circle all around it"

Now that shape is actually mathematically impossible to construct, because if the diameter is 10 cubits, the circumference would have to be 31.4159 cubits. (circumference = pi x diameter)

Other nations did come up with fairly close approximations of the value of pi, but it was Archimedes who really nailed it in the 3rd century bc.

Just another item in the Bible that doesn't add up I guess.

Anyway, its a fascinating constant, and I hope you enjoy "Pi day tomorrow"!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

"Beware the Ides of March!"

As a kid, I always figured that all pies were round, and sweet. I could not figure out why they called chicken pie, pie or pizza pie, pie. -or square pizza pie, pie? -Go figure!

• Twitch
    Twitch

Damn! Beat me to it. Usurped even

Oh, glorious pi! Why ist thou irrational so?

• prologos
    prologos
    If they used a measuring line, it would be impossible to t stretch it along the the cusp of the lily shaped (cross section) of the rim. That line must have stretched at a narrower part, lower. The line would have easily stretched across the open top, the diameter. I0 and 30 are not a measure of the same circle, but the smaller lower vessel circumference and the wider rim. The bible is often wrong, but logically explained on that one. look under the rim to be a winner eh?
  • prologos
    prologos
    Here is a pi question: if you stretched an ideal rope around an ideal even surface path on the earth, and then added 16 meters to the 40 Million meters of the rope, lifted it evenly everywhere, could a mouse get under it? or who?
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Fisherman

Have you not heard of Angus meat pie ? Curried Pie , or even a scollop Pie ? Your living on the wrong side of the world .However a Kangaroo Pie is Sacreligious.

Now please inform this ignoramus ,about the impossible shape mathematically speaking .

"The diameter is 10 cubits ,the circumference would have to be 31.4159 cubits (circumference =pi x diameter )" ?

Some of us are unlettered and ordinary, and OLD , you know , I would like to have this explained to me in laymans terms if possible

By the way it is the 14th here where I am

smiddy

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Happy pie day vs the weeping wall.

Conclusion (there are others): The Temple did not exist, nor did the Mikveh, nor does the weeping wall exist today. Or circles were not around back then or laws of geometry did not apply or they did not know how to make circular circles because smiddy is smart.

Or there is more to understand about the measurements recorded. (maybe below ????)

• prologos
    prologos

"The diameter is 10 cubits ,the circumference would have to be 31.4159 cubits (circumference =pi x diameter )" ?

Smiddy, please read my post above. It can not be the same circle that is measured, the diameter across of the vessel, is rim to rim, is bigger than the lower measurement of the container just below it, like the rim on a cup.

Thank you Fisherman, for the illustration it is impossible to stretch a measuring line (scotch tape was not invented yet) along that thin edge at the top, 31. 4--- long, but easy above the ring of pomegranates, to keep it from slipping down.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thank you prologos

Even I can see that now, You learn something everyday here , what an amazing site.

smiddy

• prologos
    prologos
    smiddy :what an amazing site. be amazed again: how tall are you? be even more amazed by solving the 16 meter added to 40 million meters longer rope question above. suggestion, start with a 1 meter diameter circle and work your way up to the ~18 000 000 meter of the earth diameter. prediction: by adding 16 meters to the size of the "outside" of all the universe, it will have expanded out by 2,5 meters. figure on pi.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit