Evolution is a Fact #27 - Monkeys, Typewriters, Shakespeare, 747s etc.

by cofty 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Here’s an interesting question: if a monkey is not at all related and we are specially begotten by the maker, then what are the odds of monkeys being able to naturally perform mathematical operations, constructs which humans supposedly ‘made up’ with their superior intelligence.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

cofty: Most creationist arguments can be summarised as "complexity, complexity, complexity - therefore god"

I think that all theistic arguments come down to 'god is necessary.' In other words, god has to exist. They presuppose god and then demand that this claim be disproven. "If there is no god, then how do you explain [this]?" "If god doesn't exist, then how can [this] possibly exist/work?" "Without god, how do we account for [this]?"

I wanted to demonstrate god for those who did not believe, because it seemed to me that there had to be an ironclad argument that couldn't be refuted or denied. This was god we were talking about, after all. But without the presupposition, there is no angle. No starting point. And if you just assume god --if that's all that you have-- then how can you know who/what it is? There is no approach to demonstrating god that cannot be used by anyone to support any religion. And we see them all use it. Their book is infallible, other books are not. They have miracles they can point to. They have testimonials. They have prophecy. Everyone else is lying or deceived or just wrong.

Think about it. Think about any approach that apologists use, and you'll find that they come down to the necessity of god. Complexity, as you point out, is perhaps the most popular approach. But there are others, and they mostly rely on gaps in our knowledge or understanding of the world/universe. Discard the presupposition and start from a blank square, and you won't get to god.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I didn't know that any monkeys perform mathematical functions. Please provide a source for information about monkeys doing math.

• cofty
    cofty

In all these conversations about evolution it's worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of theists have no problems with it.

It's only a relatively small minority of fundamentalists - and most Muslims - who refuse to accept reality.

It's is a common issue for ex-JWs due to years of indoctrination and woeful science education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit