Hidden Doctrines

by jhine 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jhine
    jhine

OneEyedJoe , we are clearly not going to see eye to eye and l see no advantage to continue going back and forth just disagreeing . l assume that the label " self deluded " applies to me , and you are not going to budge on your position . Shall we agree to disagree ?

Jan

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

What is Buddhism hiding? Not sure. Could it be that it is ultimately atheistic?

Perhaps a Buddhist could inform us.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Vanderhoven7, Buddha supposedly ditched his wife and children and went in search of the Truth, which wasnt a good thing to do. Buddhists hate to talk about this, In my experience
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@EverApostate

I knew he forsook all in his search, but was unaware of the details.

What's strange to me is that the Islamists I have spoken to see no shame in their leader marrying a 9 year old or raiding caravans and executing merchants and actually see his life as the epitome of holiness. Nothing to hide it seems.

• btlc
    btlc

The religion is (also) a product for sale, their doctrines is dosed enough as much as it needs to be bought by customer. The rest of the doctrine is optional. The most of the believers knows just basics of their religion, or even less (i.e. like in JW case).

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    a day ago
    Vanderhoven7, Buddha supposedly ditched his wife and children and went in search of the Truth, which wasnt a good thing to do. Buddhists hate to talk about this, In my experience.

^^This^^

I am not a Buddhist, as I will never subject myself to a hierarchical, misogynistic belief system again, but I have studied Buddhism. I think the precepts that Buddhists follow and secular Buddhist psychology have value, but Buddhism is marred by the same issues as any other insular society-- abuse of power and sexual abuse, not necessarily rampant, but it is there. The Dalai Lama is complicit in the coverup, IMO.

• blisterfeet
    blisterfeet

Why do you find this particular statement offensive? I’m only asking, not trying to attack your feels. In the religions I am familiar with I find the statement to be true. I understand I do not have full understanding of ALL religions, however keeping in mind this is an ex jw forum I think it’s an accurate statement for this one.

does this challenge a belief you hold in a way that inspires you to be defensive of the transparency?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I don't believe that it is fair or accurate to paint all religions with the same brush. Some churches are quite open and transparent about their beliefs and practices.

• jhine
    jhine
    blisterfeeta day ago

"does this challenge a belief you hold in a way that inspires you to be defensive of the transparency?"

Hi blisterfeet , no , that's not it . You it the nail on the head when you said " however keeping in mind this is an ex jw forum " .

The original quote , which yes l did misquote when l used the word hidden , is taken from a site run by an ex JW for ex JWs . All things must be put into context and in that context the statement is going to conjure up bad memories of control and manipulation .

Also as l said in an earlier post r&f Witnesses going door to door are encouraged or trained to only say what is most positive about the religion and actively lie ( Theocratic Warfare ) about the not so positive . l have been lied to myself when l asked a question to which l already knew the answer .

Again that statement in it's context suggests , l think , that members of other faith groups would do the same . l may be slightly paranoid about that l will admit but certainly some may make that leap .Doctrine to me means what someone has to believe or profess to be part of a particular group . Anglican doctrine is quite simple and open . l will post again in a few minutes cus l haven't got my "presentation " prepared .

Jan

• jhine
    jhine

http://www.anglicansonline.org/basics/nicene.html

this is a link to the Creed used in Anglican and possibly other churches as a statement of faith , this is what any Anglican is expected to adhere to . That is it .

l was going to say that "anything else is a matter for the individual to work out for themselves ", but of course in JW land that means the complete opposite .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit